First time dad , have question about formula

silvia74

I’m sure it has been answered here already but I’m kinda new to this dad stuff just had a newborn girl last week mom is doing good . breastfeeding didnt go well so we’re one the similar pro ready made formula step 1 ,I get 24 59ml bottles ( 1416ml ) liquid total.

in a few months will switch to powder so I was wondering how much liquid formula I could get from the pro advance powder that weighs 964g

https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/Sh...WD/p/BB_055325002543?variantCode=055325002543

basically Trying to figure out the quantity differences thank you sry for the horrible grammar but I’m tired and have a lot of questions lol

@silvia74 Basically you’re just not paying baby formula prices for water.. I def recommend getting infant water and mixing your own bottles. The ratio of baby formula to water is standard

@silvia74 Haha you have so much coming my friend. Not any of my business, but if possible, not sure your situation, pumping the colostrum. I believe mothers produce it for about six weeks depending on the mom, and it’s pretty good (important) stuff for a babies immune system. After the colostrum is given to the baby, I’m personally a proponent of formula. It helped us a lot. Wish you the best of luck

@varakumar Thanks for the input , I appreciate everything being said here , we tried breast feeding first few days baby was getting colostrum but that’s about it and was very hard to Watch the damage being done to my wife and the baby was not getting what it needed there was just no way to continue for us, as soon as we made the switch it was crazy like everyone had a better mood baby was like a new person

i Know it’s a very touchy subject but thx for reaching out;

@silvia74 This was my exact experience and I really appreciated my husband’s support in making this decision. Keep up the good work. If you or your wife need any additional questions answered or support, send me a message.

@silvia74 Unless your doctor specifically said you have to use liquid formula, you can switch to powder now. 99% of the time, if the baby was full term and/or did not require a hospital stay, powdered formula is 100% okay. My daughter even spent 2 weeks in the NICU and they said we could use powdered right away.

As others have mentioned, powdered formula is MUCH, MUCH cheaper than liquid/ready to feed. Also, depending on your water quality, you don't necessarily need to buy special water. I live in Washington state and our water is very good quality so we make bottles straight from warm tap water.

Good luck and congratulations!

@jazzyss Thank you , baby full term with no issues , at first was told 6 months could switch then the next day we had another dr tell us between 1 to 2 months was ideal . I have a decent stock pile of rtf bottles to get me around this mark, if everything is smooth powder will save me lol

@katrina2017 Oh you just made my day so for the same price I could get ready made bottles 24 pack at 48oz - 1416ml total formula

So then The powder I could make a total of 225oz - 6654ml for around the same price , that’s a huge difference , thank you on behalf of my wallet when the time comes to switch , this is exactly was I was looking for thx a lot

6654ml

@silvia74 The ready to feed is convient but not cost effective. Definitely switch to powder and buy in bulk at Costco or bj’s for the ultimate cost savings. Also if you find a brand you like sign up for their coupon programs

@silvia74 I used Kirkland’s brand from Costco - identical in nutrition to all the others (formula is regulated in Canada). The tubs are like 1.3kg or something so you get more. And I would stock up during a sale.

@silvia74 My daughter (almost 3 month) has been drinking 6 oz every 3-4 hours for awhile now, so I stopped her ready to feed bottles quickly.. She is on Similac Advance in the blue container, it is cheaper per ounce to get the bigger containers of powdered formula for when you do switch over. Also the 34 oz container has the scoop attached inside of the lid so that's also a plus!

*I also was unable to breastfeed my first daughter and really beat myself up over it, hugs to your wife. ♡

@matt55 Thank you ,and bless every woman who has given birth , just a crazy and beautiful experience

wow baby is roughly 3 oz every 3ish hours now and I feel like we’re flying through these ready feed bottles, now When she hits 6 oz omg that’s a lot of bottles lol powdered will def be the future , thx

@silvia74 Since you know you are formula feeding early on and I agree that powder will definitely be in your future, look into getting the baby brezza if cost isn’t prohibitive. The amount of use we get out of ours still at 6 month, with the 6+ oz bottles mine goes through now has made it so worth it. I especially felt that way though during middle of the night feedings when I just could stumble into the kitchen and press a button with the bottle made in seconds. Hands down my most “worth it” baby item. Yes, it is expensive, but you will get so much use from it every day.

Back