Feeding plateau at 2.0-2.5 oz (4.5 weeks old)

tracyk859

Have switched formula and bottle nipples and it only seems to get worse. Although she is taking the same amount of formula as a few weeks ago, it takes 45-60 minutes to get there, as opposed to 15-20 minutes. Taking her back to pediatrician next week, but does anyone have some pointers? It seems like we are running out of ideas.

@tracyk859 Which bottle nipples are you using?
There are some that are slow flow. With those it takes ages to feed.
On the other hand, my baby would drink to fast with normal flow nipples.
We tried so many different bottles and nipples and techniques.
I just gave up bottle feeding and started BF even though I didn't want it at first
My partner at the end could feed the baby with the bottle but myself I just couldn't, I don't know what I was doing wrong. I am not saying you are doing something wrong.
Baby and me would get frustrated.
Plus, it didn't help that I was afraid to burp him at the begining.

@jesusl0ver123 I didn’t realize that there were different nipple sizes before reading this page yesterday. The bottles we were using were a 2. I ran to Target yesterday and bought new bottles that were 1 thinking this would solve everything. Nope. It only seemed to make it slower.

@tracyk859 Aren't the 1 slower than the 2?
There are also anti-colic bottles.
You also don't need to buy new bottles, it is enough to buy new nipples.
Nippes have different sizes and are also for different ages. I think there are 0-1, 0-3, 3-6, 6-12 months, etc.

@jesusl0ver123 I have all of the following:

Tommee tippee - sz 0
Dr. Browns - sz 1
Phillips Avent anti colic - sz 1 + 2
Phillips Avent - sz 2

Just did another feeding with the phillips sz 2 and she finished 3 oz 🤷‍♂️. As long as she doesnt throw up within the next 30 minutes, big win.

@tracyk859 Throwing up (or spitting how they call it) is normal, don't worry. Even with bottles, I think. This also freaked me out. Now I don't even bother, since he has regular wet diapers and is gaining weight.
I am still going to visit an baby orthopedic to ask for advice but the midwife was with me when my boy was spitting (5x in a row) and she also said that this is completely normal.

@tracyk859 We use Phillips and the size 1 are outrageously slow. My lo rarely finishes more than 2oz using them before falling asleep mid feed. We use the size 2 regularly and stop him after every oz for a big burp and he's usually done with a 3.5 oz bottle in 20 min or so!!

Back