F**k viruses

@bluechap Seriously. Please write your elected officials and local health department (if you can and have the energy). I'm advocating for clean air at my kid's school but it really should be legislated. Just like when we learned water should be filtered to prevent cholora, now that we know alot of viruses are airborne government needs to step up. My kid's pediatrican is masking and she told me to absolutely protect my child from repeat infection. Plus, with no mandatory sick pay but schools being funded by attendance it makes no sense what so ever. Any, excuse my venting... just so tired of seeing my whole social media feed filled with friends and family being sick all over the holidays. I'm 100% sure many sick kids will show up at school when my kid starts again tomorrow.

@rhemajoy Yup. Didn’t get sick all of 2019, 2020, 2021, or 2022. Caught COVID in august 23 and have been sick October, November, December, and now January. I’m just so over it and I don’t know what else to do besides be miserable.

@helasomething Please mask with in N95 so you don't get reinfected. Repeat covid infections raises your chances of getting long covid. I like 3M Aura masks for adults as they have a comfortable nose padding and the seal is good. For kids I wrote a response to someone else post with loads of links.

@downtherabbithole Yeah I’m going to have to start wearing masks again. My
Mom is going through intense chemo/radiation right now and I haven’t been able to see her much due to us being ill a lot. We don’t even go anywhere. It’s like every time
We do something we get sick. And we wash our hands, use hand sanitizer, don’t touch things unless necessary. COVID just wrecked our immune systems. We take elderberry supplements and zinc supp. And other daily
Vitamins and minerals but JC I’m so over it as many many people are.

@oliviate It's coming in from other people who go out sick or are asymptomatic (so they don't show signs but can still pass on illness - which can happen when older kids/adults have rsv, with covid, or even things like hand, foot and mouth disease).

So if you're in poorly ventilated spaces without good MERV 13+ filtration (which is rare unless you're in a place that legally mandates this or where people have upgraded their systems) or with hepa air purification that is enough for the size of the room and the amount of occupants- then you're likely to get what ever germs are floating around. 60 minutes show called on the air we breath that covers all this. Since pandemic started we now know that lots of things are airborne (so you catch them by breathing unfiltered air). Just like back when we discovered we should filter water to prevent cholera, we should be filtering the air now that we know better.

So if you're visiting family who is going about their lives without masking in gorcery stores, hospitals or even schools- yeah, you can catch things. To make things safer, mask up during peek respiratory illness times, purifiy air if you're hosting a gathering in your home, ask people not to show up if they are or have been sick the week of the event, ask them to test for covid before gathering. Our family has caught 3 people who had covid by testing (thank god because they didn't have symptoms when they tested and we have vulnerable people in our family).

Back