Every item we've used for our 2-month old so far

praisethelord12

When I was pregnant I scoured the internet looking for a list like this, so I thought I'd share ours! These are the absolute essential (and a couple of non-essential) items we've used so far with our 2-month old baby girl. For some this might be excessive, for others not enough but this has worked great for our family.

*Edit to add for context: our little girl was born in early spring on the west coast of the US. I’m breastfeeding and supplementing with pumped milk.

Clothes
  1. 4-5 swaddles/sleep sacks
  2. Simple long and short sleeve onesies. (Long sleeves w/ mittens will prevent scratching.)
  3. A couple of pairs of pants with footies
  4. 2-3 pairs of footie pajamas with body length zippers
  5. A few fun outfits (we did not use these in the first month, but fun to have around as they get older)
  6. 1-2 beanies
  7. 1 sun hat
  8. 2 warm jackets
  9. 1-3 blankets
  10. 1-2 muslin swaddles
  11. Gentle laundry detergent
Changing Station
  1. Surface for changing pad (We use a dresser we already had)
  2. Changing pad
  3. Portable changing pad (We have this one for the living room and to take on the go)
  4. Wet bag (To contain dirty diapers/onesies on the go)
  5. Diapers
  6. Wipes (Costco has good multi-packs)
  7. Gentle hand sanitizer
  8. Diaper pail (We love this one bc it’s steel so it keeps odor in and doesn’t require special bags)
Feeding
  1. Burp cloths! Have many on hand, you will go through a lot.
  2. Breast pump (If you have insurance, apply to get covered here. Ours was covered 100%!)
  3. Milk storage bags (If you plan to pump)
  4. Bottles (Our lactation consultant recommended that we use Dr. Brown's with a preemie nipple for newborns)
  5. Drying rack & bottle brush
  6. Bottle warmer (Soooo underrated in our opinion! We were told by many we would never use it, but it gets used daily. We love ours!)
  7. Nursing pillow (Not totally essential – I use a rolled-up blanket to use for arm support or a normal sleeping pillow)
Sleep
  1. Bassinet or crib (We got the Halo Bassinest on marketplace and it's worked well. We also have a Moses Basket out in the living room for naps and to safe place to set baby down)
  2. White noise machine (I recommend a stationary one and a portable one for travel.)
  3. Baby monitor (Video and/or audio)
  4. Pacifiers (Your pediatrician might have advice on type and method of use. We started with the Avent Soothies.)
  5. Probably a rocking chair (We haven't gotten one yet, but I wish we had a glider at home to help put baby to sleep!)
Bathing
  1. Baby shampoo/body wash
  2. Baby Lotion
  3. Baby Oil
  4. Bathtub (We have one like this)
  5. Aquaphor (For rashes, cuts)
  6. Towels & washcloths
  7. Brush
Play/Awake time (Not essential but good to have)
  1. High contrast images & toys (we have the Lovevery play gym that came with these)
  2. Bouncer
  3. Swing
Transportation
  1. Diaper bag (I recommend a backpack style so you have both hands free)
  2. Car seat (We have the Evenflo Xpand Travel System)
  3. Car seat cover (Helps block sunlight, and people coughing on your baby)
  4. Stroller
  5. Car mirror
  6. Baby carrier/wraps (There are so many different kinds! We have the Solly wrap, and this Graco one which we love!)
Health/Safety
  1. Thermometer (We have this rectal thermometer - I've heard this kind is the most accurate.)
  2. Tylenol (Get child Tylenol, it's exactly the same as infant Tylenol and a fraction of the cost. ETA: apparently this is only the case in the US, please consult your pediatrician first)
  3. Snot sucker (like this, or this)
  4. Saline spray
  5. Nail clippers (We love ours from FridaBaby.)
  6. Infant scale (Not essential, but wonderful to have if have reason to be concerned about weight like we were. We have this one.)
For Mama: Nursing & Postpartum
  1. Reusable breast pads
  2. Nursing tanks (or loose tanks that you can move to the side)
  3. Nursing bras
  4. Nipple balm & cooling gel pads
  5. Lactation supplements (I use Gaia, as recommended by my lactation consultant.)
  6. I was gifted this postpartum kit which was great, but you'll also get a lot of things from the hospital which they'll likely let you take home. These are the absolute essentials from that kit IMO for a vaginal birth:
  7. Witch hazel cooling pads
  8. Peri bottle
  9. Maxi pads

@praisethelord12 Can I just suggest for mamas post-partum to seriously consider adult diapers? They were way more comfortable than maxi pads for me! I had them on hand anyway because those last few weeks were tough on the bladder

@proudchristian1884 I did! I used them before, during, and after. 100% recommend. I got a two months period postpartum and I was so grateful for them. I would have used so many pads! I also didn't have to worry about leakage. Not once did I get any on the sheets. I use Thinx. They also have a thong which was perfect for the leggings that have become my SAHM uniform.

@praisethelord12 You all are the best! lol I would laugh so hard if my hubby told me I had diaper butt.. And probably keep wearing my diapers.

edit: thank you for this list - I'm 33 weeks and am still preparing for my little guy's arrival.

@rickylovesjesus My grandmother used to wear adult diapers because she had a bad bladder (childbirth, in the 60s and she was in her 30s) she ordered the wrong things, so she got pads instead of pull ups. She passed away 4 years ago and we still have a big boxful. Well omg they are better than maternity pads or maxi pads. I took nearly a bag full to hospital and these helped more then the pads the hospital had. Even the midwives agreed that they where better. I’m still wearing them and I’m nearly 4 weeks pp.

@gcook I had a c section. Tried the always discreet but to me it seemed like they stuck to the tape they put over the stitches. I preferred oversized cotton granny panties with a pad in it. I needed my undies to go way over my incision or under.

@gcook I bought a box of the always diapers and they were very comfy other than the fact that they sat right on my incision. They would’ve been great for a vagina delivery but I had to ditch them because my incision was so sensitive. High waisted period underwear (get them a little bigger and higher than you think you’ll need bc you’ll swell from the csection and if they roll down you’ll be in a lot of pain) or high waisted undies with all day pads were the way to go for me personally. Also tight high waisted leggings (lulu align) to help press on your belly because it’ll feel like a bowl of jello but the recommended binders also sit right on the incision and are MISERABLE at the end of the day especially if you’re sitting all day feeding a baby. Again, maybe size up bc you’ll retain a lot of fluid from the csection. I retained 15-20lbs of just fluid that I didn’t have going I to the surgery but I also labored for 72 hours first so that definitely contributed. DM me if you need any other csection advice. I didn’t expect to have one and was caught totally off guard and unprepared and tried a dozen things before I figured it all out. I’m totally happy to help in any way I can bc no one tells you what the first two weeks post surgery are really like. The pain isn’t as bad as the weird ab muscle weakness and fluid retention imo.