Double umbrella stroller reds for big (>40 lb) 3 y.o. twins

am1inside

Hi all. we're about to go on a month long international trip with our 3 y.o. twins, and will need to have a lightweight-ish stroller since the place we're going is very walking heavy.

The thing is our kids are massive. They've always been on the tall/hefty side and weight about 40 lbs each. They are good about walking, but during times when we have to rush between places or if they start to wind down, we feel like we need a double stroller.

the thing is most double umbrellas have a laughably small weight limit, like 30-35 lbs per seat. The only one we could find is the g-link 2 by uppababy which has a limit of 55 lbs per seat.

Should we be getting two single strollers instead? or any other suggestions? Thanks!

@am1inside The Zoe Twin+ has a 45lb limit per seat and the Valco Slim Twin is 48lbs per seat. I have a Valco (different model, the snap duo trend) and fly with it constantly and love it! For two bigger kids, a true umbrella stroller sounds difficult. I’d want something that is fairly smooth to push when thinking about hills, uneven pavement, cobble stones or whatever else you may encounter.

@straykat Thanks, I guess I was thinking of an umbrella stroller for portability sake, as we already have a giant double stroller. The valco looks like a possible option, but man is it expensive. Already spent $600 on our first stroller, don't want to do that again if we can help it!

@am1inside Yes. Easier on public transport, airports, planes as well. Also provides way more options if you want to split up and do things with one kid instead of both or take them to different stuff.

@mattbraunlin makes sense. I guess I was trying to free up one person to not have to push a stroller, but perhaps it might be better trying to squeeze two separate strollers into trunks etc. than one big one.

@mattbraunlin I agree that 2 single strollers are the way to go. Where are you traveling to, OP? Outside of the US you may encounter much smaller doors, hallways, etc and single strollers will allow you to explore much more. I can say for sure that in many European old towns a double stroller won't be comfortable to use

@am1inside My 3 year old twins are also tall and around 40lbs. We travel with two mountain buggy nanos. Love that we can take them on the plane. One adult is able to push them both if needed. Had the same issue with the twin travel strollers and weight limits. And we wanted something that we could take onboard with us AND we are both tall. Some of these travel strollers just didn’t work with our stride length.

@snowygurl6 it's embarrassing to say this but next month our "oldest" will probably surpass the max weight of this. He is built like a linebacker (and squirms like one too)...

@am1inside Ya. It only really goes to 44lbs. At this rate mine will be done with theirs before they turn 4. I guess they’re walking! A wagon is the only other options but they’re pricey and huge. I’m just not sure I want to invest. I know a few parents that swear by them for travel since you can throw carryons in with the kids. They gate check it.

@snowygurl6 I thought about a wagon, but I'm wondering how well the kiddos can fall asleep in it. I imagine at some point they'll just melt away and fall asleep in the stroller, not sure if they can do that in a wagon

@am1inside Do you actually want to get a stroller that you might only use another year, if that?

If you're traveling to a specific place, I'd look into rental handcarts (? not sure if it's the right English word). I wouldn't want to have a wide buggy, or even two single buggies, that I'd have to bring all the way even when the children can walk fine most of the time.

You mention they're usually good about walking, so you could take a handcart for planned trips with extensive walks, and use it for your bags when they're walking fine. We always do that when we go to the zoo, or the beach. Granted, they won't fall asleep in it, easily, but you're probably not going to be on an adventure during their naptime, right?

There's also fold-up versions if you absolutely want your own, some with parasols and rain-shields. And they are still fine for my 6-year-old stepdaughter, too. When they outgrow it, you can use it for picknicks etc.

This is what I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.de/Bollerwagen-T...5&hvtargid=pla-1946823136745&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Back