Do you give your children medication (e.g. Tylenol) when they have a fever?

@jaxson I medicate them if they seem like they feel crappy but not just because of a fever, no. In mild illness there’s really not much risk or benefit either way, so I’m not going to make my child suffer through feeling like crap just to let a fever ride, either.

@jaxson It depends on the temp and the time, high 102's and above I medicate anything below that I let him ride it out, except at night low 102's I'll medicate because he often spikes at night while asleep. But we've developed this routine after knowing how his body reacts to being sick, every kid is different and their needs are different.

@jaxson High fever, yes.

Otherwise, yes if it will help my child sleep well, or otherwise relieve discomfort. Sometimes the kids act fine despite fever, so I generally don't bother then, but if they have headaches or feel crummy, out come the drugs

@jaxson My son was being fussy one day and since he can't tell me what is wrong & all his other needs were met, I gave him some. Figured if he was hurting, it would help. The pros outweigh the cons imo.

@jaxson It kind of depends on the circumstances, but I usually avoid medicine for the kids or for myself unless the fever hits about 103. In general, I try to let the body do it's thing until it seems to need help.

@jaxson I will IF they have a fever over 101.5, if they can't sleep because of symptoms or are in pain. I do the same for my self mostly. I try to just ride it out without tbh.

For me, it's a part of wanting the medication to actually be affective when we really need it too. Years ago, I would take ibuprofen all the time because of pain and at one point, I would have to take 6 500mg for it to kind of work.

Also don't want to damage organs because you give it too often too.

So my philosophy, use it only when you actually need it.

@jaxson I tend to medicate based on how my child seems to be feeling, not his temperature, because he rarely runs fevers even when sick. Conversely, he’s always felt bad when he’s running a fever. But if he were running a low-grade fever and seemed otherwise ok, I probably wouldn’t. Higher fever, yes—but I can’t imagine a world where he was above 100 or 101 and didn’t feel crappy!

@jaxson In first year fever = meds. Now that things arent so risky (he is 2) i let him do it on his own until 39°C. If it spikes to 39 and above, meds it is. For myself as an adult, i never treat fevers with meds. Nor did i during childhood as far as my memory goes :) my family always took more natural ways to support body while it does its job fighting. But its very circumstancial. Super high fevers can be dangerous and they need to be brought down imidiately, meds are awesome at doing this. Same goes for any fever that makes you feel mentaly unwell. Idk how to explain but basically if child/teen/adult is feeling weak, dizzy etc, during fever, this is serious. Even lower fevers could impact body and brain so it is important to observe behaviour and feelings to notice any urgent signs, if you do try let the fever run its course naturally.

With small kids i prefer to resort to doliprane/daleron (i believe tylenol equivalent in two countries i live in) simply because they cant communicate their actual state to you that well so you might not know how bad they are affected + risks are higher. The older the child, the more i trust in natural process :)

@jaxson Fever are the worst for kids including how colds and flu be spreading around in schools.If my 5yr old and 4yr old have a fever that is making them feeling too hot,they'll be rush to the hospital and be prescribed for over the counter medicine.My 5yr old have not no problem to take the medication,but I have to put some medicine in my 4yr old's cup mixed with her favorite juice for her to take it.

@jaxson My 6yo will vomit anytime we give him ibuprofen or acetaminophen and we just sort of gave up last year. We’ve tried liquid, chewables, mixing either form into food and drink, and even if he was able to finish let’s say a glass of chocolate milk with Motrin mixed in, he would throw it up within 20-30 minutes and just feel worse. His pediatrician advised us to just treat fevers any other way we could unless he got up to 104 or had one for several days which has thankfully never happened.

We were actually on vacation last week and on our last night at the hotel he came down with a fever of 103.6 around his bedtime. Nurse line gave us the same advice they always do so myself, husband, and mom took shifts staying awake all night to monitor him, rewet a lukewarm compress, and make sure he stayed hydrated when he would briefly wake. It broke early in the morning thank god but this is pretty much how we navigate fevers with him.