Diaper rash won’t go away

ho2008

As the title says, my little dude has some diaper rash around his butthole that won’t go away. I’ve been giving him a bath every other day, making sure it’s dry after diaper changes and doing diaper changes before and after he eats and if he’s awake every two hours. The only time I let it go longer is if he’s asleep. Should I just wake him up every two hours to change him? He’s past his birth weight so I’ve just been waiting on his cues to feed him. We’re using A&D diaper rash cream. I have preventative cream we’ve been trying and the regular cream, but nothings working. He’s had it for a week now, the dr office told us to use A&D. We were using boudreaux’s Butt Paste and switched. I feel horrible cause it looks like it’s gonna bleed. Any help or advice would be great!

@ho2008 My baby had pretty bad diaper rash for a while and what ended up working best for us was blow drying his butt on cool after wiping during a diaper change! Then using Desitin ultra strength after. Put on an excessive amount of the desitin, our pediatrician told us it should look like frosting on a cake.

@handakatomy Yes, basically this did it for us.

We also change diapers mega often, as soon as we notice the line turn blue and like the second week we had a bad diaper rash. What we did was started to actually DRY the area after we used unscented or sensitive wet wipes. So basically change the diaper, clean area with wipes, then I use the new diaper to blow dry/fan the area dry. This takes like 2 minutes longer, but once the area (the whole butt as well as the pelvic area) we cake on BALMEX Diaper Rash Cream. I hear Desitin is amazing, but someone gifted us Balmex and it worked very well. You HAVE to dry the butt well, otherwise the wetness is held in by the ointment and does t work. So dry dry dry then layer on the Balmex thick... the butt should look white with ointment and then I would fan that a little bit for like a minute to sorta let it dry on the butt and then out on the diaper.

Do this every single time you change a diaper, so like every 3 hours or so... even if the LO only peed, do it. Within a day you will see it's getting better and in about 2-3 days it'll be completely gone.

@gailcsir I just read on this and you're right. I'm obs a new Dad so know nothing, but I did just read that it's acceptable to not wipe for just pee... I'm gonna talk to my Pediatrician about this. Thanks for the insight, gonna save some $ on wipes maybe.

Back