Depressed Teenager Abroad

prayingp

Hello, I’m currently navigating some difficult topics with my 19m teenager.

He is currently studying abroad and called me in absolute distress to confess he had “Grey bugs in his bush” his words not mine. After taking down his symptoms it wasn’t difficult for me hypothesize that he had crabs. (Confirmed this with my friend that’s a doctor, he will be getting tested on Thursday for other STDs to ensure nothing else is going on).

I’m deeply disappointed in my teenager, he knows about safe sex, we discussed prep due to his sexuality and I paid the 600 dollar fee for testing and the necessary medications.

He is completely distraught, panicking and crying and feeling sorry for himself. He mentioned that he’s depressed because he’s poor. He’s also depressed because he lost his full ride due to his GPA dropping below a 3.3 (it’s a 3.2 so not totally terrible). Lastly, he’s depressed because of issues with other family members.

Listening to him cry about these issues is frustrating considering he left without ensuring his scholarship situation was resolved and second because despite being exceptionally bright he’s been extremely unsafe and hypersexual. Most importantly he’s studying abroad and living a dream most people never get to! Granted he did that with scholarships and money he saved up while working his freshmen year of college. He just can’t stop comparing himself to other students and their large budgets.

I’m frustrated with him because I’ve given him the leniency he wanted because he thought he was an adult and should be treated like one.

When he was on the phone with me for the last SIX hours I was not coddling him or allowing him to pity himself. It was important that we get a plan of action in place which is what we did.

He has an appointment with a psychiatrist today because we had already discussed his self destructive behaviors. Due to him destroying a friendship with the only person that he had made friends with due to the friend not reciprocating his romantic feelings.

My question and need for advice is, what else can I do? He also confessed not doing well in his classes up there despite not working.

Should I bring him home? Should I pull him from the top tier university he’s currently at here at home and make him go to community college?

Should I micromanage him from a world away? I just don’t know what to do to ensure the self-destructive behaviors don’t continue.

@prayingp If he doesn't want to be there and he's depressed then it's in his best interest to go home. Hopefully you understand that condoms don't prevent crabs right? Tell him to go in the bathroom and shave his pubic area completely.

@fasonreeman Hi! Fully aware that pubic lice are not preventable with Condoms. It was late and I was not clear but he confessed to not using protection and having multiple partners in just one month and not practicing safe sex. Hence the need to ensure nothing else is going on and getting tested this week for STDs.

I’m honestly not here to judge my kid on his sexual activity. What I will not condone is not practicing safe sex and hyper sexual tendencies to bury other emotional or mental distresses.

He has not confirmed what he wants, he is still trying to calm down. I’m giving him grace and space to breathe and checking in periodically to ensure he’s still okay.

Love him to pieces and I’m heartbroken he’s going through this. He knows that no matter what he can always come home.

That instinct to keep him safe under my roof is a strong one to overcome for myself personally.

Back