Convertible car seat

miche_nz

We were gifted Chico convertible car seat and so far it’s just fine - although I expected more from it. I REALLY hate that I have to dig for the straps because they fall in.

Anyway. I want to buy a second for my car. Preferably a much easier to handle one. I looked into maxi Cosi but my friend has one that her 3 yo complains about comfort wise so I’m nervous to get it. Does anyone have the best convertible car seat they recommend?

Edit for question: is it better to get one that turns into a booster, like a 3 in 1? or does that not even matter?

@dmsnansdkfl We have a Nuna Exec in one vehicle and a Britax Advocate in the other. She far prefers the Britax for comfort.

Also, IMHO, the Nuna seats are a huge let down for the price tag. The Pipa Lite was Amazing, but they seemed to have dropped the ball on the Rava and Exec.

@miche_nz Oh I am too! I love the nuna leaf, and I am a huge advocate of the Pipa. …but for the price of the Rava - it’s a MAJOR let down in my opinion. There’s no ARB, which is a huge safety feature that I personally feel should be included on a high dollar seat. It’s the main reason why we didn’t get it.

Same for the Exec - at this PRICE it’s soooooooo disappointing.

Our Exec:
- it’s narrow, 17”, so if that’s important to you (it was for my husbands vehicle), then that’s good. Otherwise she’s cramped.
- the fabrics seem how-hum. We live in Texas. It’s Always Hot. She gets very sweaty in this seat, MUCh more so than the Britax. The fabrics feel like a thick wool sweater. Not ideal for a hot car.
- The buckles have this magnetic thing on the outside of the seat so that they’re not supposed to flop back in her seat. They must’ve used the worlds smallest magnets because they barely hold the buckles. I’m always digging the straps out.
- the seat comes with this foot/bottom seat cover thing. It’s trash. It barely protects the seat, gets crumpled, crumbs go under it.
- the “ARB” is the foot rest. And sure I’ll give them credit for having it, it just doesn’t seem nearly as sturdy as the bar for britax (or probably the Cleks). And I don’t think it “extends” all that much. She’s still way more cramped in this seat RF than the Britax.
- Install is okay. Would I trust my FIL to do it? No. My husband has me double check it. For this, again, the britax click tights are amazing.
- the straps are supposed to be used with ALL the pads. The neck ones nearly strangle her so I take them out. The crotch one made it so we couldn’t get a tight fit. Again - disappointing.
- oh, and my husbands biggest annoyance: you can never find the button to losen the straps. Seriously it’s so hard to locate. You have to go in through the slot where the pull strap comes out, but your still ‘fingering’ the car seat unnecessarily.

- cup holders are basically unusable. Once she’s strapped in, they’re too far away for her to utilize them. They also seem horrendously cheap.

Truthfully, all of these things I could look past, IF the seat wasn’t a whopping $700. That’s way too much money to spend on a seat to be this disappointed.

The Britax is half the price, and no it’s not perfect, but the little nuances I can live with, especially for paying only $350.

@richking58 Thank you! This was super helpful to read. I'm deciding on a second convertible carseat. We've had the Britax all in one for a couple of years and I like it. I just don't know if I like it enough to get another one for our second car. I'm considering clek foonf or Nuna Rava or exec. Probably going to pass on the exec after reading this. I just can't decide between the clek because while it has the ARB, it's only rear facing until 43". My daughter is almost 3 and 38".

@miche_nz I have the Nuna Rava and the Evenflo Gold 360. I like them both. Rava is very plush, solid, and easy to use. Installation is easy. The Evenflo Gold 360 rotates which I love. The Rava straps are better quality I think (they don't twist) but the rotation is so practical for me. The Rava does not convert to a booster but the Evenflo Gold 360 does.

@miche_nz Does yours not have the little pocket for the straps? Ours does. As soon as we unbuckle we put them into the side pockets. It’s by where the thighs would touch

@miche_nz We have the Nuna Rava, got it for 20% last year black Friday. It's expensive but very nice. My son who used to despite the car in his infant seat is comfortable in Nuna Rava. There's a little clip for the straps so they don't get buried. It does not turn into a booster but those are like $40 so will just get one once he is at that weight.

@miche_nz We have a maxi Cosi and love it! Our son is 2.5 though, so maybe he won't like it later? But he often falls asleep in it and the head supports keep his head from flopping over too much when asleep.

@miche_nz Nuna Rava. Pricey but it looks so comfortable.. my 2 yo has never complained and honestly loves his car seat. I love how easy it is to use as well. We also have a spare Graco convertible one and I can definitely tell the difference.

Back