Clingy 10 month-old

discoveringyou

I have two girls - 5 years & 10 months. My eldest was a loaf of bread (easiest baby on the planet.) She was agreeable, rarely cried, was fine with any caretaker, etc.

My youngest is throwing me for a LOOP. She’s incredibly healthy & hitting milestones early - but she’s unbelievably clingy.

It’s confusing to me because I work full time, so she’s at daycare 9 hours a day. They have no issues with her bottle feeding. But at night, she wants nothing to do with my husband.

My in-laws moved to town last year to be close to the girls. They’ve watched the baby twice - for an 8 hour span and a 6 hour span. She REFUSED to take a bottle - no matter how tried, or how tired/awake she was, or how she was positioned. Absolutely refused. And was fussy the vast majority of the time. Aside from this, we’ve gone on 2 weeklong vacations with them, and go over there weekly, so she definitely is familiar with them.

My MiL (gently, but firmly) thinks I need start weaning her so that she can get used to other people. I refuse - our nursing relationship is so strong, I nurse on-demand throughout the night, and she’s never been sick (not once.) It feels wrong to stop when so many signals are screaming at me to continue.

Am I off base here? How can I navigate this, help her to not be so clingy, etc.? It’s jarring how different two babies can be!

@thecup Thank you. This makes me feel sane. Honestly I just feel this pull to quit my job and just be present for my kids all day long, while throwing middle fingers in the air to anyone who tries to step to it.

@discoveringyou I saw something on Instagram, can’t remember where, that said if your biggest problem with your kid is that they want to be with you, that it’s not that bad of a problem.

If you felt ready to wean or make a change, that’s a different story and you could make changes to make that work for you and your kiddo. But if it’s just for your MIL, well she had her kids, it’s your turn. You do what you feel is right.

@discoveringyou She probably misses you through the day and enjoys her time with you when you are together. My 18 month son is the same. I was sleeping in another room with my newborn and my husband and toddler shared our bedroom (we all bedshare). My toddler was super clingy while I slept outside and now that I’m back in the main room with baby in the bassinet, he is less clingy because he missed me.

Kids are all gonna do what they do and I think if nursing on demand works for you and your daughter, that’s ok!

@discoveringyou My baby is almost 11 months and insanely clingy as well. He’s always been bottle fed. I sort of quit my job when he was born and am with him 97% of the time and he’s still next level clingy. I think some babies just are. I also know one day he won’t be this clingy and it does make me a little extra grateful.

@asphaltpotato Totally agree! Once I realized this is a phase, I started taking the time to be present and enjoy it. It is tiring being the one that is clung to, but getting the first kiss from your baby, having them jump on you squealing for huggies, noticing your LO repeat your gestures; it is amazing.

@discoveringyou My youngest was like that. The most intense period of clingyness was from 8m to 14m and then he gently started exploring. We never really forced anything at all and he just did it himself. He is now 2.5yrs and Dad obsessed. Some kids are just clingy 🤷‍♀️

@discoveringyou My eldest son is surly. My MIL does not create a bond with him, and at first she also blamed the bf, co-sleeping…in short, our attached parenting style. Now he is almost 5 and my little girl is 2, she is easy going and very affectionate. Now my MIL no longer says anything about the bf (it's also because I once responded with something unpleasant) but she still doesn't like my son. For me it is very painful that my MIL does not like my son as much as my daughter and every time she compares them I feel horrible, I even talked about it with my husband. I understand your feelings very well.