C-Section Babies and Probiotics. What’s the science?

@lolad Anecdotal - I had massive doses of antibiotics over the course of a few hours in labor, which ended in a cesarean. Our baby girl seemed MISERABLE for the first several weeks. We started lactobacillus reuteri after I did some reading on it and saw remarkable improvement over the following weeks. My husband and I missed a dose for her on 2 separate occasions, each thinking the other person had administered it. Both times we only realized the missed dose after talking over why we had such an extremely fussy baby. She's like a completely different kid.

@lolad I saw a pediatric dermatologist for a recurring rash that started at 9ish months. Turns out it was simply irritation from bathing, which we do as part of our bed time routine. Derm noted that I have hay fever and that apparently genetically predisposes you to having a less effective skin barrier, which I likely passed on. We started putting on moisturizer after bathing and the rash is gone. Just an idea in seeing as the cause has yet to be determined.

@lolad Ours was a c section, and also has a milk allergy. One thing that helped tremendously that a colleague suggested was asking your insurance about convering it. I had my pediatrician write a note, sent it to the insurance, not only did they help me find it (in some instances they will ship it to you) but they reimbursed me too.

@katrina2017 Sorry I wasn't clear, the formula was what was prescribed. Hypoallergenic formula. Super expensive and hard to find, even more so than regular unless you find something like target house brand version of it.

@lolad We started feeding the probiotic apricots to our C-section baby to improve his regularity, but our OB discouraged us from doing any type of probiotic when he was a newborn. It had been strongly suggested to us by a non-OB doctor.

@lolad This might be a silly question (Pregnant FTM) and I’m sorry to answer your question with a question, but why not just avoid cow milk? Or is there a particular advantage to kids drinking cow milk? Or is it just difficult to avoid in premade foods?

@christian99 Breastfeeding means mum has to eat dairy free. Bottles mean special formula on prescription. We do both. Rash has improved but not gone, which makes me think it may not be this anyway (but we continue with dairy free).

@christian99 Also, babies in general shouldn’t drink cow’s milk until after 12 months because cow’s milk inhibits iron absorption (and iron is very important when babies first start solids), and also for a couple of other reasons. It sounds like you don’t really need to know this yet - lots of time to figure things out - but thought I’d mention briefly.

Back