C-Section Babies and Probiotics. What’s the science?

lolad

My little one is already 7 months old. He has a skin rash which could or could not be a cow milk protein allergy. We’ve been recommended by a pharmacy that we give him a type of biotic mix, but I’m sceptical (by nature!).

I understand there’s been increasing interest in research looking into the gut biome and how important it is, but I’m not familiar with this really, and especially with specific relation to c-section / babies (but not newborn).

The stuff isn’t exactly cheap, but very happy to stump up the money if it’s been proven to help of course…

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!

@elizabeda777 Thanks for all the info. In summary, and just like I thought might be the case, evidence for and against, so unclear. What I would say though is that it seems there wouldn’t be any harmful effects of trying it, so may as well give it a shot

@lolad I looked into this question briefly 2 year ago for the same reason as you and got the same general answer at the time. We ended up trying Biogaia drops on the advice of our paediatrician, and they seem to have helped, but there were confounding factors (my baby was also weaned off reflux medication and really took to solids around the same time which improved his bowel movements).

@lolad Purely anecdotal: both my children were vaginal deliveries, one had eczema and the other had a dairy and egg allergy. Eczema is thought to be a gut issue as well. I gave them both probiotics and both their symptoms eventually disappeared. I’m not usually encouraging of finding medical advice on mom’s groups but this is where I started. Find a couple of groups for breastfeeding with a dairy allergy and see what others have suggested. Do your own research. My doctor’s opinion about probiotics is that the big brands are likely safe enough and probably won’t do any harm. Question is if they help. Good luck.

@quirkypanda I EBF but use Nutramigen to prepare oatmeal for my 10mo with a cows milk protein intolerance because it has LGG probiotics which help with the processing of milk. We just passed step 2 of 7 off the dairy ladder so she can eat butter now.

@lolad Anecdotal: my c-section, breastfed 1 year old has shown no signs of food allergies or intolerances. Her bowels have worked fine, with just the occasional constipation from solids introduced. However, my c-section came after my water broke and I laboured for several hours. My doctor suggested that “emergency” c-sections that happen after labouring mean that bacteria has had the chance to enter the womb via the cervix and these babies have just as much exposure as vaginal delivery kiddos. Again, just what I was told. We have done no probiotic treatment on her besides her love of plain Greek yogurt.

@lolad Have you worked through elimination of environmental, non-food factors already? Detergents? Grandma’s/caregiver’s detergents? Body washes?

@lolad It’s been months since I looked into this (pre-planned C-section with my almost 7 month old), but if I remember correctly the theory is that C-section babies, especially planned c-section babies, miss out on exposure to some potentially helpful bacteria in the birth canal. C-section babies who did start to descend into the birth canal might have that exposure. Not a lot of research on it though.

@lolad Here’s a good overview of the research on gut biome differences and health in c section vs vaginally birthed babies

My siblings and I were vaginal birthed and breastfed and we all have eczema and allergies and I have IBS, autism and some other issues. So, I’m not stressing about this since being birthed and fed the optimal way didn’t prevent me from having a reactive immune system or developmental disorders :)

My c-section (at 5cm for fetal distress so I don’t think she was anywhere near the birth canal) breastfed 1-year-old has had zero skin issues, digestive issues or any sign of allergies to anything. However she was raised with a ton of exposure to animals and dirt. We have multiple dogs and livestock and our house doesn’t stay clean for longer than 5 minutes. I think that has helped lessen her chances of being reactive to her environment (there is a lot of research on this - kids raised in dirtier environments, with dogs, and with high levels of endotoxins from animal poop in their environment - have much lower rates of allergies, asthma etc). If I have another baby I plan to do a repeat c section.

I did give my baby BioGaia probiotics as a newborn and it seemed to lessen her evening fussiness. Their website links to a lot of the research done on infants and their specific strain of probiotics

@katrina2017 I’ve never heard of doing it in the eye actually! I used a spoon, or the tiny syringe that came with the Zarbee’s vitamin D drops. Baby didn’t seem to mind either way

@heloise23 Ok! Me either but the pharmacist label says to deliver in the eye. It seemed really odd to me and they didn't give any explanation that I remember, so I've been putting off using them.

I guess I'll just go with orally!

@heloise23 Yes I use biogaia and it helped my LOs belly so much. It’s L. Reuteri strain which babies who are born via c section don’t get exposure to. They have all the info on their website. We used to recommend it all the time in GI. I do drops onto the paci.

Back