C-19 Vax

@stedfastgirl Congrats!

So weird how calculating risk can be looked down upon. We were in the same boat and came to same conclusion. Background in clinical trials so it’s very clear the risk is unknown.

We ultimately decided to avoid it because it’s like deciding to play Russian roulette and you don’t know how many bullets are in the gun.

Versus controlling environment, avoiding sick people, and having plan for immediate treatment if one of us did get sick.

@aprilsargent You know that unless you are a literal hermit you are playing Russian roulette with COVID too, right? In fact, everything you do or don’t do is playing Russian roulette, just with a different number of empty barrels. Not getting vaxed is playing with a gun with 100 barrels, getting vaxed is playing with a gun with about 100 million barrels - your chance of dying in a car crash on your way to the to get it is way higher.

@roadrunner1 I disagree with this. We’re talking about known risk vs. unknown risk. The former has a known range of possibilities vs. the latter here in which has no data or evidence to reveal or validate effects.

@stedfastgirl What long term risk are you afraid of? Everyone always says this, but is never able to actually say, just an abstract fear of the unknown, without any real justification. Where as covid is a known risk that is very serious for pregnant women. Many people who take all the precautions still get covid. You do you but it seems insane to me and just a bad risk calculation to not get the shot, especially while pregnant. You should listen to some of the stories of women who died or lost their baby and their families regretting not getting the vaccine. Then you should weigh that against the fact that most "long term" effects of vaccines appear within months and there are none really to speak of when it comes to mothers getting vaccinated.

@stedfastgirl Also you can't pretend the unknown is totally unknown. There is evidence and information that indicates the vaccines are safe and effective at preventing severe disease. It is not unknown and to pretend that because we don't have data more than like 18 months old means that we don't have any idea what will happen after more time is dumb. Not being 100% certain is not the same as not knowing at all.

@stedfastgirl By the same logic we don’t know the long term (past 2 year) effects of COVID at this point either. there’s a nearly 100% chance of catching it at some point if you are not vaccinated and have any sort of normal life.

Some long term effects of COVID for you:
- death. Your chances of dying of COVID without the vaccine are only about half your chances of dying in world war 2 as an American serviceman (~400,000 dead for ~16,000,000 served =2.5%). Most WW2 deaths would have been quicker with less suffering than COVID deaths I would guess.
- lung scarring. Imagine not being able to ever take a full breath again.
- blood clots. Tons of them! You now have to live with the possibility that a heart attack could kill you at any moment
- kidney failure. Anyone for dialysis? Having your entire blood supply pumped through a machine every few weeks to remove the toxins that your previously working kidneys would have filtered for you.
- long COVID. Chronic fatigue, brain fog, lethargy, shortness of breath, etc. for months on end if not for the rest of your life.

@stedfastgirl Congrats on your baby!
We also made the same decision. Birthed our babe at the start of covid, pregnant again and will be delivering soon. I, like your wife, consider myself to be really healthy in all aspects. I really watch what I eat and what I do, what I buy and it’s exposure to toxins is important to me as that affects our bodies. Thankfully I have not had covid as of yet, my husband did get it in the beginning of my pregnancy but I did not contract it and neither are vaccinated as of yet (we’d prefer waiting for clinical trials to be over). The only difference is I’ll be having a home birth so I’m able to control my environment a bit more in terms of who we come into contact after the baby’s birth. I have a whole line of doctors on both sides of our families, some of which have advised to get it, others of which have advised to hold on. We made a personal choice to wait for the same reasons you mentioned and we are comfortable with that.

@randypnw My wife and I struggled with weather or not to get it. I had a knee surgery and was off work we decided that since we were both on the shelf and neither of us were really leaving or seeing ppl we wouldn’t risk it having 2 mc’s previously and it taking 3 yrs to conceive. We now have a happy and healthy 4 month old and me are due in a little over a week for our second shot.

@anth Any views on not

Getting the vaccine during

Pregnancy and why?

- Affectionate_Grab_79

[sup]I detect haikus. And sometimes, successfully.[/sup] [sup]Learn more about me.[/sup]

[sup]Opt out of replies: "haikusbot opt out" | Delete my comment: "haikusbot delete"[/sup]

@randypnw I’m currently 27+5 weeks pregnant. I am not vaccinated and I’m pretty adamant against the c19 vaccine for many reasons I will not get into. I also have two auto immune diseases and take a medication that causes me to be immunosuppressant. I recently tested positive for covid. I had symptoms for 3 days and was perfectly fine after that. No issues for me or the baby. This is for anyone on the fence of getting the vaxx. In the end do what is right for you. Others opinions shouldn’t matter. Do your own research and make your own sound decision. Just know that the survival rate of covid is pretty high with or without the vaccine.

Back