Breastmilk amount per bottle

@nimbus Correct. There is one study suggesting for prolonged breast milk feeding (24-48 months) the caloric content changes. However for 3 months to 18/24 it is extremely consistent.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3586783/#:~:text=A%20dynamic%2C%20bioactive%20fluid%2C%20human,%2C%20diurnally%2C%20and%20between%20mothers.

By four to six weeks postpartum, human milk is considered fully mature. In contrast to the dramatic shift in composition observed in the first month of life, human milk remains relatively similar in composition, although subtle changes in milk composition do occur over the course of lactation.

See also: https://www.medela.com/breastfeeding/mums-journey/breast-milk-composition

By the time your baby is four weeks old, your breast milk will be fully mature. It’s rich in protein, sugar, vitamins and minerals, plus numerous bioactive components – such as hormones, growth factors, enzymes and live cells – to support your baby’s healthy growth and development.7

From four weeks, the nutritional content and levels of ingredients in mature milk generally remain fairly consistent. But the composition of your breast milk can still change from day to day and feed to feed.

ETA:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26383056/

Human breastmilk has a fairly constant composition, and is only selectively affected by the diet of the mother. The fat content of breastmilk varies somewhat. The carbohydrate, protein, fat, calcium and iron contents do not change much, even if the mother is short of these in her diet.

@nenab Yuppp. Really like getting downvoted for providing actual science on a science based parenting sub without a single article in response to support the original premise that breast milks CALORIC content changes over time for mature milk.

@imark The standard rule of thumb is 2.5 ounces per pound per day. So to figure out how much baby should eat, take (baby’s weight in lbs x 2.5)/[number of feeds per day]. Source: https://www.verywellfamily.com/how-much-breast-milk-should-i-put-in-a-bottle-431802

Edit to add: this calculation is apparently only for newborns and babies under 10 lbs. Thanks to the comments that clarified this!

The AAP recommends:

General guidelines for baby feeding
It is important to remember all babies are different―some like to snack more often, and others drink more at one time and go longer between feedings. However, most babies will drink more and go longer between feedings as they get bigger and their tummies can hold more milk:

Most newborns eat every 2 to 3 hours, or 8 to 12 times every 24 hours. Babies might only take in half ounce per feeding for the first day or two of life, but after that will usually drink 1 to 2 ounces at each feeding. This amount increases to 2 to 3 ounces by 2 weeks of age.

At about 2 months of age, babies usually take 4 to 5 ounces per feeding every 3 to 4 hours.

At 4 months, babies usually take 4 to 6 ounces per feeding.

At 6 months, babies may be taking up to 8 ounces every 4 to 5 hours.

Most babies will increase the amount of formula they drink by an average of 1 ounce each month before leveling off at about 7 to 8 ounces per feeding. Solid foods should be started at about 6 months old.

Source: https://www.healthychildren.org/Eng...QQ*MTY4ODE3MDgzNi4xLjEuMTY4ODE3MDkxNS4wLjAuMA..

@katrina2017 While useful for some, these resources are not really answering OP's question. The first site states that the chart and calculation are for newborns (and young infants). Though an explicit cutoff is not called out, the chart partway down the page which the formula is derived from only goes up to 10 lbs. The second link says it is volume of formula, which is not necessarily the same as the recommendation for breastmilk.

@outdoorsy I believe the AAP baseline recommendations were for breast milk, and then it adds after the recommendation that for formula-fed babies, they increase intake by about 1 oz per month.

@outdoorsy I think this site is what my MIL was referencing in her reasoning behind the 8oz bottles. the wording is horrible and leaves too much room for discussion/ interpretation

@imark FWIW OP, my kiddo was consistently in the 90%+ and was sent to daycare with four 3oz bottles, rarely finished them all, this was recommended by our pediatrician. Lasted for over a year.

Three kids deep and I’ve never given a bottle more than 3-4 ounces.

@katrina2017 If my baby was still hungry after 4oz more breastmilk would be put in the bottle, there are definitely days this is the case. But after a 4oz bottle baby is content, and no one else who watches the baby says 4oz isn’t enough…it’s only them.

@imark Possible response: “My pediatrician is not concerned with how we’re feeding the baby. Thank you for wanting to make sure s/he is well fed. We’re happy with how baby is eating.”

And if they push: “You are the only ones making a big deal out of this and it’s causing us stress. Please give us space as parents to make our own choices.”

@imark Are they watching your child? If not, why are they interfering with your parenting? Don’t consult them. Don’t inform them. Don’t defend your actions if you’re following doctor’s orders. You don’t need to prove you’re right and they’re wrong. You just need to do the right thing for your baby and remind them they’re not the parents.