Breastmilk amount per bottle

@nursingninja Just to note - this is regarding formula, not breastmilk. The composition of breastmilk changes as baby grows to be more nutrient dense and therefore babies may not need as much volume compared to formula.

@imark Nothing more fun than unsolicited advice based on making their lives easier! How old is your baby? And have you checked out La Leche League?
“In a 24-hour period, a baby between one and six months of age takes in about 3-5 ounces per feeding; the amount will vary by the time of day.” Article here.. I can probably find other resources if their age is outside of that, but LLL has great data-driven information (with citations).

@imark My 16 month old cannot finish a 8 oz bottle in one sitting. If she does she throws up everywhere. Mind you it’s not breast milk but it is way too much liquid volume. The only time mine drank that much was around 11 to 13 months when she wasn’t really eating solids yet.

@roboryan Yep and we’ve also started introducing solids at dinner (another discussion with the in laws, I’m sure I’ll be back here regarding that at some point….). Baby is gaining weight beautifully, actually jumped quite a few percentiles, is hitting milestones, is happy. Zero cause for concern. I’m very much over the conversations that aren’t negotiable

@imark At two months I did a bunch of weighted feeds and my baby was eating between 1 and 6 oz every 1.5-3hrs. So those numbers don’t seem impossible to me for a 6month old, but the really important thing is that you know your baby best and frankly it isn’t up to your in-laws. Maybe for your own sake/sanity you could do a few weighted feeds to see what volume your babe is taking in when on breast.

I think its an older generation thing. My mom also thinks the best thing in the world is to put longer time between my kids feeds. Even if he is hungry. Even though that just makes him wake up more frequently at night because he didn’t take in enough during the day. I basically just told my mom her advice isn’t aligned with our goals or pediatrician’s recommendations and that we wouldn’t be taking her advice. And she is just trying to help but has slowly realized that medical advice has changed so much since when she had babies.

@imark Breastfed babies top out at about 3-4oz per feed, because breast milk is dynamic, and the composition changes over time to fulfil the caloric needs of a growing child. Formula babies have to have more and more, because formula is static, and doesn’t offer anything different, so they need additional volume to make up for the extra calories.

I suggest explaining this to your MIL - not only does an EBF baby not need 8oz in one go, they probably wouldn’t be able to drink it, because they’re used to having half that (they’ve not built up to it gradually like a formula baby). It would be like asking an adult to eat two full meals, one after the other!

@oppmuntre This article you posted doesn't even back up what you're saying about composition changes and caloric need. I implore you to find an article that does, and also includes citations.

@oppmuntre This isn’t true. Breast milk doesn’t change over time to fulfill the caloric needs of a baby. It is also pretty static similar to formula, with a stable composition once mature milk comes in.

@rosegold Not sure who are are replying to but your pub med article confirms that milk composition remains stable:

By four to six weeks postpartum, human milk is considered fully mature. In contrast to the dramatic shift in composition observed in the first month of life, human milk remains relatively similar in composition, although subtle changes in milk composition do occur over the course of lactation.

Likewise the MIT study says nothing about caloric changes or composition (meaning protein, fat, calories)

Not disputing there may be some small immune changes or other changes but there is NO SCIENCE to back up the notion that mature milk in first two years of life changes its caloric or general composition (fat protein, ect percentage) to adjust to growing baby.

@katrina2017 No. The claim was breast milk changes caloric composition as baby gets older. That is not true. And the core nutritional composition of breast milk does not change (carbs, protein, fat) but good try. Maybe read the full articles next time?

@sarebear1992 I just was quoting what you said as a direct quote from the article. Human milk does stay relatively similar but subtle changes in milk composition do occur. What do you think those changes could be? I do not think they are referencing changes in flavor lol

@katrina2017 I’d expect a little critical thinking and/or reading the science from this sub. Your response serves no purpose to further the discussion or the premise being debated.

If you read the articles you would see that yes, there are subtle changes (for example A study of milk from 71 mothers over a 24-hour period found that the milk fat content was significantly lower in night and morning feedings compared to afternoon or evening feedings) but that the average composition of milk is stable. Likewise there are small bio active changes over the course of lactation. But none of those equate to caloric change over time or core nutritional composition.

I don’t have to guess what those changes are because I read the articles. You just seem to want to be contrarian without doing any work to support whatever (unclear) point you’re trying to make.

@lookintochat https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3586783/

"In contrast to the dramatic shift in composition observed in the first month of life, human milk remains relatively similar in composition, although subtle changes in milk composition do occur over the course of lactation"

I see it touted all the time that "breastmilk changes to feed your baby what they need!!" and have yet to see an actual scholarly source proving that. An article on the Medela website written by a IBCLC without any citations does not count (that stupid Medela article is constantly used to "prove" that breastmilk changes to meet your baby's need as it grows).

According to this study, the "subtle changes" are dependant on maternal factors, such as weight/height, return of menstruation, protein intake, etc.

Back