Bivalent COVID vaccine for 9 month old who had COVID at 7 months?

blessed2oo

I’m trying to figure out what the right thing to do is. Do I get my son his bivalent vaccine for COVID? He will start daycare in March when he turns one year old. We all just had COVID in October when he was 7 months. My mother is weary about me getting him the shot. Before we had COVID, I felt confident I would get him the vaccine. He got fairly sick from COVID with a high fever for 3 days but seems well now. Wanting to game out a risk/benefit analysis for whether or not to get him the shot. He’s up to date on all his other shots including flu.

Looking for some evidence-based opinions/insight.

@blessed2oo I don’t think the bivalent booster has been approved for under 5s yet (in the U.S.) Given that he had COVID so recently, he has some natural immunity, though I don’t know if there’s been research on how long that lasts in babies. I would lean toward waiting a bit longer, maybe until February when you can re-up the protection before daycare. You can also ask his doc at any upcoming appointments.

@blessed2oo My husband is a paediatric ID doctor. He says “yes, absolutely get your child vaccinated right before starting daycare in March. No need to do it now since he just had Covid in October but good idea to get it done in February”

@blessed2oo My baby had covid in October at 4 months and our pediatrician said to wait 3 months before getting his vaccine. He will be getting his vaccine as soon as he’s eligible because I do not want to go through covid again.

@momof2labs This is the advice from public health in Canada too. The antibodies from illness wane over time so the idea of having a booster at three months is so that the immunity gets “topped up” again.

@blessed2oo They say to wait 12 weeks after previous Covid infection for the first shot. Also it’s been approved in the US and Canada for kids over 6 months. Not only will it prevent him from getting serious symptoms most likely it will also lower his risk of getting it at all. It can help protect other kids too in daycare and make it so he has fewer days out sick! Obviously talk to your doctor.

Back