Bilateral salpingectomy scheduled!!

zedaclaire

May 8th!! I repeat, May 8th!

I gave birth 8 months ago and it has been a RIDE. (Feel free to look through my post history for more context). Not too long after delivery I joined this sub. It’s a weird unknown — being one and done. I’ve read and reread so many posts here trying to understand my desires through stories of other people. This community holds so many valuable perspectives and ultimately helped me really answer my own questions about my parenting path. So thank you!

Before any research I really thought sterilization, for women, was difficult to achieve. However, I found great resources over at r/childfree. My city had multiple doctors listed along with user testimonies. With that information I was able to meet with a doctor and discuss my options. He did not harp on what ifs. He did not question my decisions. Instead, he acknowledged my fears and anxieties and said that he would be happy to do the surgery. I left the office feeling way validated and with an appointment scheduled!

It’s a big decision but I’m ready. So thankful for you all and for having medical professionals willing to help women maintain their reproductive rights!

@zedaclaire Woohoo! I had my bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy about a month ago. Recovery was pretty easy. I just can’t quite lift very heavy weight yet but otherwise I’m back to normal. Happy you found someone to follow your wishes.

@strive2bebetter The weight lifting restrictions will be challenging with my son but I’m excited nonetheless.

I’m happy to hear you’ve also had one and are recovering well! Any tips on healing or things to expect?

@zedaclaire Yes that was a challenge for me too. Thankfully my kid is a bit older so she can understand that I couldn’t lift her. It was a pretty easy recovery for me. The only suggestion I have is to get some loose fitting comfy pants for a few days after because you’ll be a bit bloated and the incisions are tender.

@zedaclaire I don’t even notice them. They did it laparoscopically so they’re pretty tiny. Full disclosure tho I have A LOT of scars (my whole body from my waist to my neck is covered in really big scars) so I’m pretty tolerant of them. I already don’t wear any clothing that shows any of my chest or stomach so no change for me.

@strive2bebetter They’re also doing mine laparoscopically so that’s great to hear. I think the change in my abdomen was already jarring alongside of a pretty wicked c section scar so I’m still adjusting to my new body. Just another thing I guess!

@zedaclaire Yea I also have a c-section scar but it’s nowhere near as big or obvious as my skin grafts or other disasters going on there. Having a kid honestly just changes your body permanently and it’s definitely an adjustment.

Back