Best workout for labor prep

ohgemma

For those of you who have gone through labor before, what type of exercise do you think benefits labor the most?

I’m currently 16w and while I love my Pilates, I know that I need something a little more cardio focused to truly prep for labor. I’ve started to shift my mindset to pushing through the harder moments when I’m in class to imagining the intensity of labor, which I hope will help.

What did you find to be the most helpful? Do you think all exercise helps prep the body for labor?

I want to do as much as I can now to make life easier during L&D and PP.

Edited to add: I don’t plan on stopping Pilates, as I love it and it makes me feel good. I am sure it will be helpful to have this body-mind connection. I am looking to add more into my routine so that I can be as prepared as possible. Thank you all for the responses :)

@ashleybear In my prenatal yoga classes, we would practice wallsits and extended squats, and I found it helpful prep for labor. Like when I noticed my inner voice starting to freak out, just reframing it like, “Okay this sucks, but you’re doing fine. Remember to breathe, notice the actual sensations instead of mentally screaming.” So much of labor is not freaking out when it sucks, because the pain usually is temporary and you will (usually) get a break from it relatively quickly.

@ohgemma Totally anecdotal obviously, but my labour was quick and I pushed baby out in less than half an hour, with only a small second degree tear. Overall, I thought it went really well. What I think helped in particular: Pelvic floor exercises, diaphragmatic breathing, squats, glute bridges, walking.

@happycamper843 I probably did a grant total of 5 workouts in my first trimester from weeks 6-13 because I’m felt absolutely horrible haha. In the second trimester, I think I did strength training 3 times a week, walking 2-3 times a week. Third trimester, especially towards the end, I strength trained around twice a week, walking once or twice a week.

I also had SPD so I did need to modify my strength training sessions substantially from late second trimester. I stopped doing all split leg movements (eg lunges) and had to do squats with a Swiss ball behind my back against a wall. I’d use a band or goblet squat with dumbbell/kettlebell to add some more resistance though.

@wanji26
Thank you for your reply! By strenght training you mean pelvic floor exercises, squats and glute bridges? How long were your workouts? I have only been jogging twice a week, and sometimes I do some mild core training (plank variations and glute bridges).

@happycamper843 In the second trimester, it would be an upper body/lower body/full body split over the three days using both dumbbells and heavier weights like a bar and plates. From late second trimester/early third, I moved to more body weight and lighter weighted workouts.

I’d do pelvic floor exercises and diaphragmatic breathing daily (aimed for 3 times a day, though didn’t always do it haha).

Upper body would involve movements that worked out the shoulders (eg should press), back (eg rows) and arms (Eg curls, tricep extensions). I wouldn’t say these help much with labour, but they’ve been good for postpartum and carrying baby.

Lower body would typically include the workouts I mentioned, plus some variation of deadlifts (sumo deadlifts in second trimester, moved to RDLs with dumbbells or used a kettlebell for deadlifts in the third).

I think I stopped planking around late second trimester too. I’d recommend keeping an eye out for coning in your middle during workouts, to minimise any ab separation.

Workouts were about 45 mins including a warm up and cool down.

ETA: I wouldn’t recommend doing anything your body isn’t used to from pre-pregnancy though, at least not without talking to a medical professional. I was used to heavier lifting so felt comfortable doing those sort of movements during pregnancy until my body told me not to, but wouldn’t do it if I hadn’t done it pre-pregnancy.

@wanji26 Thanks for your reply! You did lots of things, I am tired just reading about it xD (I'm on the first trimester!). I won't start any crazy routine, obviously. I usually just go for a jog twice a week and then do some upper body exercises. But I do want to start including more pelvic floor exercises in my workouts and stretching more frequently. Thank you again! Wishing you a great week and best of luck with the little one :)

@ohgemma I did a lot of prenatal yoga, walking everyday, and low impact running and stationary bike. Had very easy labor and delivery. I think prenatal yoga is really helpful for preparing your body for labor and doing some cardio to build your endurance for pushing is also very helpful.

@ohgemma Malasana (prob not spelled right but I think this is what it’s called) is like a reallllllly deep squat in yoga that is supposed to be great. Pelvic floor work also great. Expectingandempowered on instagram has some great info too. Finally, perineal massage is supposed to help a lot. I didn’t do it enough with my first but people who are consistent with it say it works!!

@ohgemma Breathing exercises to relax pelvic floor. Core, shoulder, and arm strength if you are planning to have to epidural and want to maximize the number of positions the l&d nurses can assist you in getting into. In my opinion cardio doesn’t matter as much.

@ohgemma I hope this isn’t taken as a joke. I mean it is funny, but it is also honest. For me, it was pooping. Both times I went into labor (with epidural) I thought I was pooping. Both times, I yelled: “am I pooping?!” With my first I was in labor 24 hours, but only 20 min of active labor. I couldn’t get over the mental act of pooping in front of people, but once I pushed past it she was out. The second time I was in labor 23 hours but my active labor was only 3 minutes because I thought fuck it, just poop. One small stitch each time. 0 actual poop either time.

@ohgemma I did a maternity strength series through the workout app Apptiv and they encouraged running and walking but it was the strength training that was most important. I did squats and lunges daily, my nurse couldnt believe I'd never given birth because of how efficient I was at pushing! Also, don't neglect your upper body because you're about to carry around a little weight all the time in your arms and those 6-10 lbs get heavy fast.

@recoveringbaptist Agree completely! I did strength training and walking up until the day before I got induced and my baby came out in about 8 pushes (labor was a different story but it was my first baby and he didn’t want to come out). My doctor actually had to tell me to stop pushing so she could hurry up and get a gown on lol.

The only thing I wish I’d done more of is probably yoga. Stretching is so good for you!

@ohgemma Endurance and cardio if you can manage. My second labor was absolutely exhausting. Also squats, specifically deep squats. Any exercise will be beneficial post partum!

@ohgemma I did a ton of working out with labor in mind and then had a C-section because the babies head was too big lol. I think anything that just gets you generally more in shape will be useful for the whole process, but don’t worry about doing anything too specific.

@ohgemma My anecdotal experience (total time from water breaking to delivery was 12 hours, only 30 min of pushing).
- from first trimester to 36 weeks: rowing, strength training (squats, deadlifts, etc), stretching
- 3rd trimester: more focus on strength work
- 36 -39 weeks: Lots of mobility and pelvic floor work. Learning how to actually relax my pelvic floor, and mobility of accessory muscles (ie adductors, glutes).

@ohgemma Pilates is great for labor as you will want flexibility.
You need to exercise your core muscles so focus on that.
Prenatal yoga is great. As a bonus the yoga comes in handy for handling Labor pain. I birthed without medication and yoga + s hook massager was key.

Back