Best burping methods

ricard

My 2 weeks old has a lot of trouble burping sometimes and it’s causing her gas and I hate to think and hear that she’s uncomfortable. So I need the best tips n tricks to helping baby burp. I sit her on my knee and hold under her chin while I pat n rub her back. I’ve also done over the shoulder burping which hasn’t been successful.

@bethany2nirvana I used this after just finishing feeding her after every ounce got a burp after the first a burp after the second and I think to be a tiny one after ounce 3 so I’ll take it

@ricard Over the shoulder, with both hands over your shoulder. I rub upwards, don’t pat.

Sometimes it is also just time - my baby makes an ‘eh eh’ sound and we put him upright sitting, holding or over shoulder for a few minutes without patting.

@valx Thank you imma have to correct her positioning on that one because every time I do that method I don’t think her hands are over my shoulder. She curls up a lot.

@ricard My husband found a youtube video that has been a game changer. I can't find it, but basically it's this:
  1. Lift baby up and down (like chest height to overhead) 5 times - this is crucial
  2. Place in seated position but leaning forward at a 45 degree angle with one hand supporting chin and chest (we do this on the changing table with a burp cloth laid down
  3. Pat the lower part of the back 10 - 15 times firmly but slowly (not fast pats, like one per second)
Repeat 3 times. The second time pat the middle of the back. The third time pat the upper back.

@ricard I put mine stomach down over my lap and support the head if necessary, gently move him forward and backward so my legs sort of massage his belly, sometimes he burps there but if not I’ll bring him up to sit after about 20/30 seconds on my lap and then supporting him to sit, I’ll gently move his torso about in a circle with his hips staying put. slowly, and this usually gets something up. Try it a few times if needed.

Back