Be the Lame One

celise

The greatest advice I ever read about getting your child out of an uncomfortable situation is this: Set up a code where it's the parent's fault the child has to leave.

My daughters are 9 and 10. When they are over a friend's house, and later on in life, when they are out with friends, if a situation arises that they are just not comfortable with, they know they can text me a certain emoji of an object they hate (a hot dog for the 10 year old and broccoli for the 9 year old), and I will call and "make" them leave.

This eliminates the opportunity for them to be made fun of for not being cool. If those emojis ever pop up on my screen, I will call them and fake yell at them about a set of chores that should've been done before they left, or an assignment I found with an F on it. "If you think you can prioritize friends over responsibilities, you're sorely mistaken!" Perhaps Grandma suddenly became very ill and I have to come and get them immediately. You get the picture. The point is that it's my doing that my child has to leave, and I'm the lame one instead of them.

When we are safely away from the situation, whatever it may be, that's the opportunity to talk about what happened, and the next steps. Being my children's wingman in these types of situations is invaluable for building trust for our parent/child relationship as they get older and have to navigate the scariness that is being a tween and teenager.

I hope this helps someone out there build a trusting relationship with your child/children. Please share the advice with anyone you know who has kids of their own and comment below about what you'd use as an excuse to get your child out of an uncomfortable situation.

@restoringthetruth My mom did the same for me with the note that I always had a ride home at any time for any reason. Luckily I never needed it (mostly because I didn’t drink until college), but it let me feel safe and confident when going out to meet up with friends or try new social situations.

@chrisrdba Ugh, I wish my mom had done something like this.

I was like eight when had a new friend invited me to stay the night. I did, and her Dad asked the step mom to go to the store and turned off all the lights for us to play hide and seek while he crawled around on all fours to "find us" (which was crawling at us while play biting like a monster would? Idk it was just weird) in pitch black. I felt so weird about it that I just hid under the bed and refused to make a sound until it was over. Then the next morning he told us that they couldn't afford for us to shower separately, so we had to take one together and we couldn't go to the mall dirty. I said no, but she convinced me that all her friends shower naked with her and it was fine. Again, felt super weird.

After we went to the mall he stopped back at my house. When we get there the dad asks my mom if I could go to dinner with them and stay the night again without asking me. I started panicking and shaking my head no at my mom and she said, sure! So I had to talk over both adults and say, I don't want to! My mom straight looks at me and says, "you don't want to stay with your friend? Why not?"

What. The. Fuck. Mom.

@celise I love this. For my friends we used to text a banana emoji and that meant get me out of here asap. I will definitely find a similar method for LO when she's older

Back