Bamboo+biodegrable diapers

Hi!!! I have another question. Mu husband want to mostly use cloth, but we would like to have disposable diapers as a backup. I want to pick a brand that's more environmentally friendly, so I was looking into bamboo diapers.

I read that bamboo only takes 2-3 months to biodegrade unlike conventional diapers.

I found some brands I'm interested in, like Honest and Dyper. I just wanted to ask for recommendations.

Thank you!

Edit: I did email DYPER b/c I was curious on what they would say about how biogradable their diapers are w/o composting. They replied that it took a "tenth" of the time as regular diapers.

So....I went to my human caculator of a husband who figured out 1/10 of 500 years (average time for normal diapers to biodegrade) is 50 years.

I can't math very well haha. Even easy math like this.

@imgoingtogethisthingright Honest diapers have my baby blistering rashes. Biodegradable diapers are great but 99% off them don't get used or disposed of correctly. They need to be processed a specific way and sent to a special facility and most people don't want to pay for another garbage pick up bill.

Check out Raising Well Kids on IG, she has lots of great swaps and recommendations! Believe her top brand is Kudos. Also keep an eye out for the chlorine Disclosures. You probably want Total Chlorine Free (TCF) and most brands only off Elemental Chlorine Free (ECF)

Here is a blog post about it if you want to read more on the chlorine.

@imgoingtogethisthingright Biodegradable diapers don’t actually decompose in a landfill environment. They require being composted. Do you compost at home? I don’t think most municipal compost services will take them because most products are not 100% biodegradable (more like 60-80%) but you can check with your municipality.

Basically, I want to say that, even though they make it sound like the bamboo disposable diapers are substantially different in terms of ecological impact, and I don’t really think that that checks out.

Oh, meant to add that I prefer Millie Moon when we use disposables. Didn’t like Coterie for the price. Pretty much every brand we tried was fine, including Hello Bello, Pampers, Luvz, etc

@imgoingtogethisthingright We use cloth during the day and disposables at night. We used honest diapers when she was really little and going through a million diapers before she fit her cloth ones well. Now that she usually only uses one diaper a night, we use Coterie. They're pricey but we really like them.

Back