Baby flipped to transverse at 39 weeks and now OB wants to schedule c-section without trying ECV

@simondarok Not all of our OBs do it, especially not the newer ones unless they're older partner assists. So I think experience does play a role. Also, all pts get a epidural. If they're more comfortable, I think it's more successful. They will not do it for super big babies, though we know scans are not super accurate.

@cathyhlikesflowers This was me at 38 weeks (turned breech and no ECV option). I cried when they told me I would have to have a c-section. I was working with a doula and was set on a natural unmedicated birth. I was fairly hysterical (not my finest moment) and only calmed down when they told me they would do an ultrasound just before the surgery and if he was back in position, they’d send me home.

I spent literally every waking moment between that moment and the day of the surgery trying to get that baby to turn back around. Spinning Babies, chiropractor every other day (including on Christmas, bless her), everything. In the end his head was up under my ribcage and that was that.

In retrospect I wish I would have learned more about c-sections during my birthing class. I didn’t really understand how sometimes things happen that we don’t have control over. I had to do a crash course and learned that I would still be able to do a lot of the things I wanted to do (skin to skin etc.). I was really lucky- my recovery was hard for me but the entire birth itself went smoothly and I don’t think my son suffered any negative impacts from it. Suffice to say my fears about the c-section were mostly unfounded (but again, I know I’m lucky).

You do what you need to do but honestly I wish I would have spent more time in the final days accepting our fate and resting and less time fighting it upside down on my couch. No matter what happens good luck to you and hope your little one makes it here safe and sound.

@cathyhlikesflowers I’m so sorry you (and your baby!) are in this position. A C-section is not ideal, but don’t let it ruin what is happening. I had one after 15 hours of active labor because of an emergency. I let it ruin my son’s birth because I viewed myself as a failure. I wasn’t a failure. I was a woman that was lucky to have her baby in modern times. I was depressed for a long time because I thought my C-section was unnatural and my scar was a sign that I was a bad mother. BUT that was all in my head. Having us both healthy and safe WAS the best choice. It took me a long time to accept that. I spent time dwelling on what went wrong instead of enjoying what I had.

My point/advice: A peaceful birth is way better than a traumatic one.

I hope you and your doctor are able work together! I’m sorry your birth plan changed :-/

@katrina2017 I felt like a total failure after having my first. I went home feeling like the most useless mother in the world. Couldn’t even get her out myself without help. I beat myself up for a long time about it but my son was born 17 months later with no medication and no “help”. And it wasn’t as if I was desperately pushing for no medication. I just didn’t need it at the time.

It really made me feel differently about the birthing experience. Sometimes you need help and medication and sometimes you don’t. I’m not a better mother to my son because I birthed him “naturally”. And actually now they’re grown up, nobody ever asks how they were born and you certainly can’t tell.

We put so much emphasis on what we do for them as babies and it feels like every decision we make is going to have a huge impact on their lives but it’s so much more simple than that… feed them, clothe them, interact with them and love them and they’ll be just fine.

@cathyhlikesflowers I'm 3 weeks postpartum with an unplanned C-section (baby wasn't breech, head was cephalic but the shoulders were in an odd position?), he ended up 9 lbs. He had meconium in the amniotic fluid after I was pushing for a few hours). It was pretty stressful because it ended up a busy day, so I had to wait for the other C-section to be complete (I guess theirs was a bigger emergency). Thankfully he didn't aspirate, but I had some guilt over it.

Anyway, the recovery hasn't been that bad! It also didn't impact my breastfeeding success at all. My skin-to-skin time was iffy, but my body was so exhausted after 24+ hours of labor that I was shaking badly (not the fault of the c-section).

I would read up on C-sections and your options at your hospital if you end up going that route. I was so convinced I wouldn't need one that I skipped the C-section part of my Hypnobirthing book, and it might have been helpful.

Back