As we’re home today w the kids for the holiday…

@rogger A friend of mine with 3 under 8 (open concept, they rent so they can't lay carpet or make many changes) started using those silicone loop earplugs, and found these cool looking tension-rod curtain room partitioners on Wayfair or Amazon. She set them up, one in the living room, and two kind of along the edge of the open concept kitchen, and hung thick insulating curtains.

I've been over a few times and it really does seem to take the upper edge off the noise. (Full disclosure, I'm mostly deaf so I have a hard time assessing noise levels).

But it seems like a reasonably priced partial help.

@mypreciousbabies I got those loop earplugs for our local amusement park that is so loud. They are nice because they cut out a lot of the background noise but you can still hear people talking.

@chiiiii Another vote for Loop earplugs. I got the expensive ones with 3 modes and I use them all the time, especially since I got a concussion about a month ago and have been struggling with noise-induced headaches and brain fog. Loops are amazing.

@rogger I love my small house, it’s got good vibes, a great layout, and is in a good location. What I wouldn’t give for a second living area. My kingdom for a fucking playroom!

@hadenhughes I live in a 1250 sq ft house, our kitchen and living room are open to each other, but our “den” is a finished carport on The other side of what used to be an exterior wall. So there’s brick and the door is an exterior door so it’s pretty much soundproof. Even though it’s small that separation is soooo clutch!

@rogger One of ours decided to wake up and choose violence this morning, so, he got his Xbox taken away and he got sent outside until he fixes his attitude. The girl has decided, by some miracle, to play in her room today. Which never happens. She usually sits on the couch with us and talks the entire time through whatever show or movie we are watching. The oldest boy is in his room, where he will stay, for the rest of his teenage years. Only coming out for food and water and to bathe and brush his teeth. Grunting something that sounds similar to hello or goodnight. Ha ha. The joys of kids on a day off.

@righty Omg. Yesssss! Who’s that? What’s he doing? Did he die? Did he get shot? Who shot him? What’s the bad guys name? We were watching The First 48. Ha ha. It. Never. Stops. I’m like I don’t know because you keep talking so I can’t hear!!! Does nothing to stop her. 😂

@rogger We have a 5 bedroom house and my kids still insist on being no further than 2 feet away from me all day long. Literally I tell them to go in their rooms and find something to do and they decline and want to stay with me. So even if you had more space it might not even make a difference. We have four kids and they're almost never not in the same room as me, regardless of what I'm doing. The baby took a nap today so I decided to put in an hour of reorganizing the garage and they "helped." It's honestly utterly exhausting.

@rogger I live in LA, and we were lucky to buy almost 10 years ago. Our house is very small, but cute (-ish, definitely needs repairs and a remodel) and in a great neighborhood. Just with a toddler I feel we have outgrown this little house, but I remind myself how lucky we are that we get to have a house.