Anyone else not “crave adult interaction”?

porven

I often see this cited as a reason people love/need to work, but I just do not feel it. I’m currently on my third maternity leave and no part of me “misses adult interaction.” 😬

I also generally don’t miss the satisfaction or validation I get from work. I have a pretty high-level job that surely comes with challenges, validation, feedback, stimulation etc. but if I’m honest, I get more satisfaction and validation from, e.g., doing a really good job keeping my house together. I feel just as proud about keeping the house clean and cooking good meals as I do getting something done/getting praise at work.

I REALLY wish I was one of those people whose cup was filled by “adult interaction” and professional achievements, but I would honestly rather be taking care of the family/house.

I won’t stop working (for long-term financial reasons), and I’m ok(ish) with that. I’m just curious if others relate!

@porven Yes and no. Between being an introvert and finding that most people end up disappointing me, I crave interaction with a few key individuals when I don't have it and there have only been a few of those over the years who are coworkers. I currently work from home and have schoolage kids. Just any old adult interaction doesn't do it. Most people exhaust me versus fulfill a need for interaction.

@roundthemountain Adding that as another introvert, most of my work interactions drain me. It doesn’t really give me fulfillment.

Fulfilling adult interactions would be like spending time with friends, not the annoying people at work.

Although I will say that working gives me much more appreciation for my time away from work. Part time work would definitely be enough though.

@roundthemountain Think such a struggle as an introvert! I’ve recently got in touch with my bff from before I had kids.

She now works remotely as well, and we’re both bored as hell!

We get to start hanging out and I can bring my toddler. She feels bad because she’s often quiet now. But it’s totally ok to just enjoy existing near a friend.

So many people just wear me out. She’s so relaxing to be around!

Back