Am I too granola for crocs for my 2.5 yo?

@ellyflowers I do your original thought — I buy used Natives on Mercari. You can’t beat the waterproof-ness, and ability to clean, especially considering sand and such. I also like they can put them on by themselves, whereas their merrells I have to put on. Worrying about plastic touching his feet leans a bit towards “super granola” IMO

@sophie0813 Same! My daughter lived in her natives last summer and I’m hunting on Mercari and Poshmark for a pair for this summer. Same concept as crocs (open breathable shoe) but they fit much better.

@ellyflowers What about keens? I don’t know if they’re a “good” company, but at the very least they’ve got their Impact Report on their website so you can see if values align.

My 18m old has the open ones (Newport or Seacamp idk which) and she can slip them on/off by herself. And as a bonus they’re machine washable.

@ellyflowers I put my child in a proper shoe if she’s going to be playing on a playground and running around a lot. If she’s going out to play with her water table on the deck I have her barefoot or in crocs. She’s not constantly in crocs. I think it’s okay for a little bit of time but not all the time. I also have a second hand pair of crocs. For some reason she loves them.

@ellyflowers Many n worry with Crocs is that they're easy to trip in. As suggested elsewhere higher up maybe try Keane closed toe sandals. Sandals so not too hot, but closed to to avoid stubbing toes or getting sandals caught