am i running too much to conceive?

sahabds

my husband and i (23M and 22F) are currently on cycle #4 of trying to conceive, and have been using the syringe method due to my vaginismus. i used to struggle pretty badly with anorexia, and i still have my moments but am a lot better now and a healthy weight. my periods have been regular and consistent since october, but they’re just very long. i average about 37 days, usually ovulate on CD 23, then get my period exactly two weeks later to the day. i run a lot though, i’ve always been a pretty heavy distance runner and i average between 65-80 miles a week. i never run super fast though only an 8-9:30 average pace. but with that i make sure i’m eating enough and getting enough iron especially because i’m a vegetarian and slightly anemic. but i can’t help but wonder/worry that maybe the reason we haven’t successfully conceived yet is because i’m running too much? does that actually affect implantation? i figured it was fine because im eating enough to support it, but now i’m paranoid. right now im in my two week wait at about 6 DPO, ovulated last thursday 3/7, and ran 12 miles friday, 12 saturday, 6 sunday, 10 monday, and 12 tuesday. maybe i’m just too in my head about it but what if this is why we haven’t been successful yet? running is my stress outlet, esp in the tww. so idk what to do? thoughts?

@sahabds Could be! A friend of mine who did IVF was advised to stop running for a while. Also the fact that you’re vegetarian/anemic could be contributing. If it were me, personally, I’d relax a bit with the running. Also make sure you’re eating plenty of healthy fats and get that iron up too!

@saren911 yeah i def need to probably lighten up esp due to my history of an ED. and it’s hard getting enough iron as a vegetarian but i may start iron supplements too bc i know that is very critical once you get pregnant

@sahabds I just want to point out that if it’s “hard” for you to get enough iron as a vegetarian then you need to consult a dietitian. It’s a misnomer that it should be difficult, and usually a sign that one doesn’t know how to eat correctly as a vegetarian. A typical vegetarian diet does not result in anemia.

@sahabds I’m an eating disorder RD and hope this doesn’t come across rudely, but sounds like you genuinely want advice. Have you checked in with your medical team and dietitian recently? If not, might be something to consider. Or, consider following RDs on instagram who specialize in this type of work. I will list some of my favorite accounts below.

You claim to be at a “healthy weight”, but it’s possible you are not at a healthy weight for your body and for optimal fertility. The running sounds excessive, and it might be wise to cut back and/or consider different forms of exercise while TTC.

You mention you are vegetarian. Do you consume dairy products or eggs? In my experience, vegetarianism can be apart of lingering AN and unless you were a lifelong vegetarian before AN, then it might be worth considering if this is the right diet for you…Also, it is not wise to get pregnant while being anemic even if it’s just “slightly” anemic. I would work on introducing good sources of iron into your diet, and consider animal sources (heme iron). You’re not getting enough iron if you are anemic. I’m an RD, 30 weeks pregnant and slightly anemic due to severe morning and all day sickness in the first and second trimesters. I’m so glad I worked on my iron stores before doing IVF or my anemia would be so much worse.

I don’t think the running is the only issue here. Please check in with your medical team and consider working with an RD who specializes in eating disorders and/fertility. Message me if you have questions. Happy to help.

Accounts I like on instagram:
ttcnutritionist
Food.freedom.fertility
Period.nutritionist

@horsepower thank you for this response ❤️ you are absolutely right and i have a therapist but not an RD, and that would probably help me immensely. i always wanted to be vegetarian most of my life, i just didn’t actually start until after a lot of recovery work with the ED. i think sometimes it may be correlated to me subconsciously trying to restrict (which i try to catch myself when that’s the case) but i really want to remain vegetarian for my own personal reasons. you’re so right about all of this though and i’m sure getting with an RD would not only help me straighten out my food intake to ensure i’m getting the right nutrients and macros, but an RD could probably help bash any of my food distortions or stupid thoughts about food.

@sahabds Yes, definitely look into finding an RD. I would ask your therapist if they have any contacts or simply searching for ED or non diet RDs on Google will give you a lot of suggestions. Many RDs provide telehealth services so it can be very convenient!

@horsepower ^ I agree. This was the first thing I thought of, it’s probably not the running. It’s possible your body isn’t getting the nutrition it needs even at a healthy weight according to charts it may not be healthy for your lifestyle!

Back