All Things Rashy

@brnicholas Agree with pp on the bleach to eliminate the yeast in diapers. When my son had his yeast rash we continued to CD, and just threw a cup of bleach in my main wash. About the constant poop, it gets better. 5 weeks is still young and normal to poop a million times a day. Eventually it will lessen.

Also, we've used non cd safe creams with homemade fleece liners and no problems. I use the green boudreauxs now though, bc it's just one less step.

@brnicholas Questions 1-3 answers are here, but the TL;DR is that you bleach soak once then add bleach to every main wash cycle for the duration of the rash PLUS two weeks after the rash is visibly gone for yeast and cloth.

4 and 5) You can use any diaper cream with a fleece liner. Just make sure your main wash is hot, and know that zinc stains but is fine. You should use a fleece liner in addition to the pocket shell so that if there is a build up of petroleum it is much easier to scrub a liner with dawn and a brush or chuck it than a pocket shell. Same for wipes.

6) I'm putting my nurse hat on here doc. With elderly patients and these kinds of wounds and incontinence we put the medicated barrier cream on THICK and then don't wipe it off fully at every change. We wipe off that sorta top layer of cream that has stuff on it, but don't get down to the skin every time. It might be worth a try with your little?

My personal fave diaper cream is the California baby kind but Bordeaux green tube is a close second. Be wary of diaper creams with fish oil in them (like some desitin) as that smell can be difficult to remove from fabric.

Sorry you're dealing with the yeast beast it is NO FUN! Hopefully the antifungal knocks it out quick!

@spacecow Thanks!! RE Bleach, I use Lysol Laundry Sanitizer but reading more now I can’t seem to find anything really definitive on whether it kills yeast or just bacteria...any idea on that? Will bleach ruin the color on our pocket diaper (also for future when she’s big enough to wear the other pockets and AIOs we have)?

RE diaper cream I slather it on pretty thick - but I suppose we can always do more. Haha I try to only wipe off the cream that has visibly mixed with poop and do a surface wipe of the area that was touching wet/dirty diaper. And we dab the sore areas rather than wipe. I find that the diaper seems to pick up most of the thick layer of cream I put on though and so there’s not as much residual cream left as I’d like. Guess that just means I really need to do even MORE cream. 🤔

@brnicholas Oh and re: the Lysol laundry sanitizer. It's a quaternary ammonia, it's most effective against bacteria and can be effective against viruses and fungus in certain conditions. If you used it before and it's not working, I'd go to bleach.

@brnicholas PUL is colorfast and the bleach is really diluted. As long as your dispenser is working properly for the washes or you dilute it before putting everything in it shouldn't affect the color of anything. Also note, everything including pail liners and wetbag and changing pads should get sanitized when dealing with yeast. It hides. It lurks. It sucks.

It sounds like you got the technique for wiping down though! It does take a TON to stay on there. You could also do a good moisturizer underneath that may help it stay thick? Really, you are probably doing everything right, you just need that antifungal to kick in!

@brnicholas I've done bleach soaks and bleach washes and had no effect on any of the colors. If you have access to any ostomy or incontinence supplies at work and are willing to use disposables and/or disposable liners until the ulcerated areas are healed I can recommend you two techniques that have knocked out every rash I've come across (NICU nurse so I've seen more than my fair share of nasties!). The first is ilex paste smeared on THICK with aquaphor over the top - at each change wipe off the aquaphor and then reapply, once a day you can soak in lukewarm water to soak off the ilex itself. My other favorite especially over broken and painful skin is crusting layers of ostomy powder with no-sting barrier spray. Spray then powder, spray then powder, crust it up high and that stuff won't quit until it falls off. Also make sure you use plain water to wipe with, no baby wipes no matter how sensitive they claim to be. And I'm sure you've done this but make sure you aren't passing the yeast back and forth via breastfeeding or having it hide in the folds, yeast takes no prisoners and is the worst!

@mikiathemormon Unfortunately I don’t have easy access to ostomy supplies at work BUT ilex cream can be bought OTC, and I can always request an Rx if needed for that or the other supplies. If insurance throws a fit I can buy it out of pocket as long as I have the Rx. I will definitely give that a try next if the antifungal doesn’t work! It’s always so helpful to have ideas from someone who has been “in the trenches” so to speak. Thank you!

@brnicholas So you seem to be doing everything right except one thing. Bleach. You have to bleach your diapers to get rid of yeast, throw a cup into your main wash. You need to do this for every wash until the yeast goes away, typically 3 weeks. So keep using the creams and liners, give baby free tushy time, oatmeal and baking soda baths help lots. But bleach is your best friend when yeast is around.

Back