All of the research on Natural Cycles is written by the CEOs

seeker422

As a female medical student I was trying to find some research about Natural Cycles to see its effectiveness as a birth control. However, as my professor taught us, I checked the conflicts of interest before I even started reading this article and I read this:

Author Disclosure Statement

E.B.S. and R.S. are the scientists behind the application Natural Cycles and the founders of the company with stock ownership. J.T.P, M.Ch, E.B, and S.P.R. are employed by Natural Cycles Nordic AB. H.K.K and K.G.D and J.A. serve on the medical advisory board of Natural Cycles and have received honorarium for participating in advisory boards and/or giving presentations for matters related to contraception and fertility regulation for Ferring (K.G.D), Exelgyn (K.G.D), and Mithra (K.G.D).

All of the positive research articles published are written by the CEOs (Elina Berglund and Raoul Scherwitzl). This undermines the credibility of these research articles immensely. And this also means that the news articles that you read online are using these articles as their sources. For example, on Medical News Today:

How we reviewed this article:

SOURCES

Medical News Today has strict sourcing guidelines and draws only from peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical journals and associations. We avoid using tertiary references. We link primary sources — including studies, scientific references, and statistics — within each article and also list them in the resources section at the bottom of our articles. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.

Berglund Scherwitzl, E., et al. (2015). Identification and prediction of the fertile window using Natural Cycles [Abstract].

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/13625187.2014.988210

I would love to see some unbiased research about Natural Cycles by scientists / researchers who don't have stock ownership in the company. Until then, stay safe.

@seeker422 I have been meaning to do a deep dive into the research of Natural Cycles for this reason but life keeps interrupting. I think a critique of the literature would be really beneficial for a lot of people on this sub.

Back