TTC in 6 months. Doing research on cloth diaper stash and have questions

@colin44 Sorry for the naive question, but what exactly do you mean by between rises? Just the snaps not fitting perfectly? Or using inserts of an intermediate size? Did you use the medium inserts, or go Straight from small to large?

And which inserts did you use (for day and overnight?) microfibre, hemp or bamboo?

Also, how feel dry are the hemps for baby?

I was just thinking of using prefolds during the day/ at home, and BB (not sure if only hemp or a mix of hemp and stay dry) for going out and overnight, with the hope of changing them a bit less often (3+ hours???). I'd love to hear if you think that's reasonable or not?

@colin44 Hmm... Interesting. I was kind of hoping for the opposite (although I also think that for out and about, and overnight, I was more thinking about whether baby would feel wet and hence need to be changed, as opposed to how much the diaper would absorb, necessarily).

Worth considering the Grovias, then - have you used anything else overnight?

@violetstarlight The rise snaps are the snaps down the front that you adjust and let out as your baby gets bigger. In my case, my son's legs were too skinny I guess, when I went up a rise snap it created gaps in the leg area. It was too frustrating for me so I just stopped using them. They fit him well up until I had to adjust the rise. And every baby is shaped differently, so it's not like that for everyone.

I used the MF inserts only and started out with mediums, I skipped small. I did go on to large MFs eventually. I never tried the other kinds, sorry. I also did not use them for overnight. I used Grovia ONE (awesome diapers!).

@colin44 Thanks! I've heard good things about the Grovias for skinny babies. Not sure if we'll have one of those, though - hubby and I were skinny when born, but we're in a different country with much better food than our parents had, and everyone of our ethnicities tends to end up with chubsters, so ... we're just preparing and researching all contingencies ;)

@colin44 Yeah I love that the covers can be reused and that the prefolds are so absorbant. But the idea of having to figure out folds to keep from leaks and fasten the prefold together to make it stick (especially at 2am on 2 hours of sleep) has me wondering if I'd just rather pay extra and do AIO. The only thing that makes me hesitate on AIO is that I've heard they take so long to try. Which is why I started looking into pockets and AI2. But AI2s are just as expensive as AIOs and a lot of them either don't come with an insert or they come with microfiber ones which we know aren't absorbant. So I'd need to buy even more inserts. That and the ones that snap I feel like wouldn't prevent poop from getting on the cover which means those would need to be cleaned more often than they suggest. And I don't know that I'm going to feel like always stuffing pockets or removing pockets to wash them (for those that aren't designed to agitate out themselves).

So the more and more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards just saying eff it and do AIOs. And I could just get a couple of extras to make up for the extra drying time.

I guess it would be cheaper just to do disposables until the baby fits into One-Size AIOs. Because I know I'd be gifted those during a baby shower. Especially since I don't think it would take that long at all (given my families trend of big babies).

@lailoved Haha ok this isn't the answer you're looking for but honestly, first of all, all those stashes would be fine. Secondly, you'll have no way of knowing what kind of baby you'll be having until you have it. Weight is one thing but the shape of their body as well as your personal preferences as you get to using the diaps will weigh very heavily on your choices.

So what I'm trying to say, as sweetly as possible, is that you're definitely over thinking this and its ok to not fret over these details you can't actually act on for some time. Even if you get pregnant on your first try in august, this time next year you'll STILL be pregnant and have time to deal with it then. Cross the bridge when you come to it!

@lailoved You'd be surprised how much your relatives will support you if you just tell them it's important to you. Even if no one in he family has cloth diapered before or at least in recent generations, just reassure grandma that it's gotten way better since the days of tea towels and plastic pants. Many websites do registries as well, like greenmountaindiapers.com I know does, and probably some others. And if you're worried about the money just set aside $100 here and there and before you know it you've got enough money to buy whatever stash you want. Just get a small variety for when your baby is brand new and then figure out what you like from there.

@pillze1524 95% of my family would look at me like I'm crazy and try to discourage me from using them because of the poop. When let's be honest, we will deal with poop regardless. Now my sisters and mom would support me 100% in the effort because I've talked to them about it before.

@lailoved If that's the case, I would just keep it to yourself. It definitely has a "mommy wars" quality that people can take as an insult to their choices and want to lecture you about. I didn't put any of this on my registry or anything like that, to avoid the conflict.

Back