Advice on Baby Monitors?? (X-post from babybumps)

@youreachristianman95 I recently searched for a monitor and had a hard time deciding. I don't have one yet, so take it with a grain of salt...but...

We ended up with the motorola MBP36. I looked at as many commonly available ones as possible before deciding. I picked the motorola because I trust their electronics and radio systems. I didn't want to buy a system that had "fuzz" in it and wouldn't transmit through the walls of our older house, or have the battery die too quickly, or be built out of cheese. I wanted a good IR night camera, and good sound, which i expect to get out of the motorola.

Initially I wanted a wifi system so my parents could see the babe, and I could when I was at work, but my concern with using that as a primary system is that your smartphone will have to be on almost all the time, there's no night vision, and almost every single app out there has some sort of downfall, whether it's re-logging in, having significant lag, losing connection, or whatever else...they're really not up to snuff for something that you're going to rely on to tell you that your child is safe. The moto has a dedicated device that has a dedicated battery and will never shut off because facebook wants to update. I may get one of the cameras mentioned below so I can still share with parents/snoop at work, but I don't want to find out that my babe hasn't been breathing for 5 minutes because the app reset.

I will say that when I called, I received excellent service from Summer Infant. There was a real live english speaking person on the other end, and she provided the answers that I needed. We decided on the moto for other reasons, but I wouldn't feel bad about supporting a company like that.