Advice before buying my first woven wrap?

@martineba So I dunno about 1 and 2 (curious myself!l but can recommend little frog for new wraps that are nice and soft and inexpensive (relatively) from the start. I got the broken twill cotton and it's 200 gsm I think. Very soft and very sturdy. I can easily carry my 3yo. They are in poland but ship to the USA, so not sure about other non European countries shipping.

@martineba If you get the woven bug, you will soon own one in every size! Lol.
  1. This is personal preference. You can do LOTS of back carry’s with a 5. I would recommend the 6 for added versatility. I never minded having extra tail length for the shorter carry’s (hello dish rags, lol), or for taking the stress off of having to center perfectly. Lop sided wrap job? No problem, we have extra length! I use a size 3 with my 15mo daily, and even my 3yo occasionally. Size and age is no problem with a shorter or longer one, as long as you know what wraps to do with what size.
  2. Ages and stages my friend! You will like different wraps and different lengths depending on age, stage, activity, and what wrap becomes your “go-to”. For me, I am very proficient at all the wraps. But darn, as fancy as I am able to get, I am truly a rucksack die hard! It’s the simplest back carry, but has SOOO MANY variations that can be done with literally any size wrap. It’s the quickest and least fussy of the back wraps, so I love it for that. A big fun of wrapping is the textiles! You will want all the sizes so you can try new wraps, and an excuse to buy more beautiful fabric!
  3. I find the weight and weave to be so overwhelming! I essentially just ignore it, lol. Maybe not the best advice, but perhaps the most practical, lol.
  4. I buy from Wrap Your Baby. Small, American owned business who commissions weaves from I believe Central America. But I also like didymos and oscha - they are European so shipping gets expensive. All woven wraps are great IMO! Can’t go wrong. A pointer if I may - buy one where the top and bottom rail are different colors, which will help as you wrap to get less confused, and if you buy one with a color gradient, you’ll be able to see how you did with making the seat by what colors are visible. And practice with a bag of flour or something, before subjecting baby to your newbie fussing. Once you get the arm motions to be second nature, then baby will tolerate it a lot more!
Good luck! And welcome to the life changing realm of woven wraps!

Just to add to #2 and what wraps you can do with a shorter one - just keep in mind it’s shorter, so less times it can go around you and baby’s body, so short wraps are typically less supportive. Which is fine! Just depends on what you’re looking for. With a shorter wrap, you’re not able to cross under the legs and tie in front, since you just don’t have the length, so you just have to be an absolute rock star at making the seat, since you don’t have the cross passes under the legs for added security. With a 3 or even a 2, you can do a rucksack with a chest belt finish (candy cane chest belt or knotless finish), or a shepherds carry.

Back