Ads and instructions for the Fisher Price Newborn Rock n Play Sleeper

@lookintochat Supervised sleep in one of these is… watching for baby’s lips to turn blue. 😔

It won’t prevent positional asphyxiation when a baby is sleeping at a too-upright angle. If baby can’t breathe it’s silent, not apparent until baby begins turning blue.

@bharati21 I had a friend tell me I had to get a swing blah blah blah so I got one. I made sure it was a side to side swing. I put baby in it a few times, she didnt especially like it and didnt sleep in it. Until one time I put her in it and she actually fell asleep. Not even 5 minutes later, I look over and her head was slumped wayyy forward. She was okay but I was terrified and threw the swing out. Anyway, supervised is better than nothing, but its best just to use safe products or a mat on the floor.

@bharati21 Oh yeah I totally get that and never would have used it - I’m just surprised how blatantly they advertised it this way while adding notes like “supervise” “safest on back” etc.

@lookintochat When it was first made it was considered safe because baby was on their back, the angle wasn’t a necessary consideration to pass regulations as a bassinet for overnight sleep.

@bharati21 Obviously I would never use this, and I’m not defending the company for designing an unsafe product, but it had 100 deaths out of 4.7 million sold. How does that compare to the danger of other things in life, such as riding in a car or crossing the street?

@paleohuguenot It was uploaded by BuyBuyBaby, but it’s an advertisement by Fisher Price. I remember seeing these on TV.

Back when YouTube was new and ad free most websites used it to host their videos. Nowadays BuyBuyBaby hosts things on their own server, but most of the old product videos are still there. They never did cleanup.

Back