6 hr cluster feeding after 1 month hep. b shot?

dude123470

Hi everyone. FTM, EBF. My five week old daughter received her hep. b shot yesterday afternoon. She nursed at her typical 2 hour mark (with lots of snuggles/sleep in between) until about 6am this morning, I’m now going on 6 hours of feeding, with one tiny nap, a quick bath, and many diaper changes in between.

The last two weeks, she’s been cluster feeding in the evenings (2 hours or so), with back to back long feeding sessions (over 30/40 mins), she was struggling to gain weight prior to the cluster feedings starting (only 2/3 oz a week for those first few weeks)... but now she’s gained a whopping 10.5 oz. in one week - according to her weight in yesterday.

Birth weight: 6 lbs 5.6 oz
Yesterday’s weigh in: 7lbs 7.5 oz

My feeding chart tells me that the last two weeks she’s nursing anywhere from 6-7 hours per day. As opposed to 4-5 hours when she wasn’t cluster feeding. She seems to be actively nursing 90% of the time, and kind of sleep sucking otherwise...

Is there any concern about nursing too long - or gaining too much weight too quickly? If she struggled to gain weight prior to cluster feeding - does that spell trouble for us? How can I help her nurse more efficiently - I typically do breast compressions about 50% of the time I’m nursing. Can breast compressions cause a baby to become a lazy nursing?

I’m assuming she’s on this 6 hour run because of wanting comfort from her stressful doc. apt. yesterday. But boy are my nipples sore....

Additional note: TONS of wet & dirty diapers.

@dude123470 No. She's okay momma. Nothing is boding danger, but is normal. The night after my son was born, he nursed for 7 hours with a handful of twenty minute naps. I asked the nurse who said it was called frenzy feeding. It basically occurs when baby is growing and is a little more intense for mom than a cluster feed. If she is gaining weight, peeing 3-6 times minimum/day, and seems happy, your good and she's good.

@katrina2017 Seems happy! Other than the clinginess from her shot yesterday... as long as she’s happy and gaining weight, I can deal with being stuck on the couch with sore nips. Frenzy feeding it is!

@dude123470
Is there any concern about nursing too long - or gaining too much weight too quickly?

Nope. The only time they worry about "too much weight" is when we're bottle feeding them. But for an EBF baby, all my LCs/Pediatrician have said that you just keep feeding on demand.

If she struggled to gain weight prior to cluster feeding - does that spell trouble for us?

Nope. I bet she's going through a growth spurt right now and she's just upping your supply.

How can I help her nurse more efficiently - I typically do breast compressions about 50% of the time I’m nursing. Can breast compressions cause a baby to become a lazy nursing?

Efficient nursing is kind of another one of those developmental milestones. She'll get there but mine didn't until honestly, closer to 2.5 months. Keep up with the compressions. If she wasn't hungry, she wouldn't keep eating.

You're doing great! I know it feels like you're staring down into the void but honestly....this is entirely normal. I remember that the 6week mark I was the most stressed of all for pretty much the same reasons as you. At the pediatrician when I took the "wellness quiz" it was the highest I had ever marked.

@steph1 Oh boy! Glad to hear there’s some semblance of sanity coming my way. Thanks for hitting all my questions! Feel like my brain is melting from all this sleep deprivation....

@dude123470 You're in good company here! We all know exactly that feeling.

Honestly, it's why I ended up caving and bedsharing lol. It's the only way I've actually been able to get decent (ish) sleep!

Make sure you stay hydrated!! Drink tons and tons of water. I know during that time, I easily killed at least 3 liters.

Back