5 year old step son keeps kicking 32w wife in stomach

slingingshot15

Hey all,

Just looking for some advice and wisdom.

My 5yo stepson can have a real mean temper on him and frequently lashes out at his mother, recently he's discovered the easiest way to get his mother to leave him alone is if he boots her in the stomach.

I was upset the first time, but over the weekend this has happened 3 times now. I've tried sitting down and talking to him about it, early bedtimes to calm down, removing toys as punishment, etc.

Last night was a bad one and I explained to him why it's wrong and what to do should he find himself getting upset and we left it all on good terms ready to start a new day...

... and then again first thing this morning came to find my wife crying on the sofa because he had did it again. I'm really unsure what to do.

Thanks for reading.

@johnlittleelm I mean the conversations have already happened, the kid knows what he’s doing is wrong.

Of course there’s emotional reasons behind what he’s doing, but he needs to learn that there’s acceptable ways to express emotions and there’s unacceptable ways. And unfortunately, children simply don’t understand beyond their own wants and needs at that age.

Consequences need to be put in place now. It’s a safety problem and soft parenting, as great as it is for some, doesn’t sound like the right strategy here.