5.5 Hour drive at 35+2 weeks pregnant?

1kroma

Hi! I’ve been lurking here for awhile, and was hoping for some advice about travel. Basically, there is a big deal y wedding that is 5.5 hours away (so 11 hours total). I’ve had an uncomplicated pregnancy up until today when I went in for my checkup before potentially traveling this weekend and had severe cramping for about 2 hours that was pretty rough. My provider suspected it was potentially GI related, and it’s subsided but it makes me nervous to have symptoms like this right before a weekend of traveling.

On top of this, I’m a but concerned about the drive since the 5.5 hours is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The wedding itself is in a large metropolitan city but if anything were to happen on drive that would be not ideal. Also I’m now worried about those cramps returning, since I really don’t know what caused them (other than being pregnant?). Don’t know if anyone has advice but would definitely appreciate it since I feel pretty split about it.

@1kroma My OB was more reluctant to have me driving that far that late in pregnancy than flying because of how rural it is between big towns. My advice would be to look up hospitals along the route that have L&D departments so you know where you can go if you need to on the way. Also, when I traveled at about 30 weeks, I wore compression socks to help with swelling.

@1kroma I cant help too much because I will soon be going through the same thing (driving 4 hours to move at 34 weeks) but I can reassure you that cramping is definitely something you shouldn't worry too much about. When baby grows I get cramps, when I have to poop I get cramps. When I sleep wrong I get cramps. Cramping unfortunately is a natural part of pregnancy and unless you are bleeding along with it you shouldn't worry. Take breaks while driving. Stretch your legs, get a snack and stay hydrated. Good luck girl