4 month regression, independent sleep & sleep training

melsna

Hi all,

My baby turned 4 months old yesterday, and it’s as if a switch flipped!

She had been going to sleep fully independently (from being awake) for all naps & bedtime sleep, for the past month. I would put her in her crib (in her room), put her in her Merlin Suit, give her the paci, she’d rub her head L&R for a while and within ~10’ she’d be asleep.
Nighttime sleep was 7.30am - 7am with no wakeups (and a dream feed fully asleep at 10.30pm). She falls asleep with paci but spits it out within 10’ of falling asleep and had never woken up for it.
Naps were tricky since week 13 (previously a great napper, she suddenly changed to 30/45’ naps only!) but since moving down to 3 naps last week she has been able to connect sleep cycles for at least 1 nap a day, and I’d be able to resettle the rest easily.

Yesterday was a SHOW! It took me forever to put her down for her nap - she’s not a crier but she would like in her crib babbling & cooing loudly, losing the paci in the process and I’d have to replace it a million times before she relaxed and fell asleep.

…But it’s the night that really surprised me!
She woke up at 10.10pm, crying, and I had to go back and put the paci in so I had time to prep her dream feed bottle.
Then she woke up at 2am, not crying but fussing/complaining. We left her to it, and she fell asleep within 10’, with no paci.
Same thing happened at 5.50am, fell back asleep in 4’.
Again at 6.30am but this time I put her paci in so she could extend her sleep to 7.05am when I woke her up.

Here are my questions:
- is this the 4 month regression?
- how do I formally sleep train a baby who already knows how to fall asleep by herself?
- can I sleep train without ditching her paci (how?)? If I let her coo in her crib her lack always falls out!
- or would you suggest ditching the paci and if so.. how?

I really thought her independent sleep skills I’ve been working on for the past month would help us “skip” the regression but it’s as if a switch flipped yesterday!
Today’s naps so far have been long (1.5hrs) but babbling/cooing non stop at the beginning.

THANK YOU for reading all this and for all the tips you can give me!🙏🏻🙏🏻

@melsna This reminds me of my kid. She’s 15 weeks. She went from 5 nap schedule to maxing the 4 week schedule In a week. I didn’t want to move things too fast but she stopped taking long naps even when contacting. She does one cycle in the crib.

I’m wondering if a 3 nap schedule will help her connect cycles but because I want her first nap in the crib and that’s not connecting I feel like we can’t go down to 3 naps.

Interesting that 3 naps helped you connect.
How much day sleep are they getting?

@looklike Hi!! Sorry I just saw this now - im quite new to Reddit and hadn’t seen the notification :) so she usually gets 4hrs a day on 3 naps, but for the past 3 days she’s been waking ~30’ before her DWT (7am) and her naps are back to being short/tricky to connect sleep cycles.zso I’m wondering if shes ready for slightly longer WW, and if these will help extend her naps again!
She was on 2/2/2/2.5 with 4hrs sleep during the day, and today she slept 3.5hrs with wonky WWs (due to EMW and nap 1 being based off DWT, which means her first WW was 2.5hrs..) .. let’s see how tonight goes!
But I’m aiming to reduce sleep to 3.5/3.75 and increase windows to 2/2.25/2.25/2.5 slowly if she handles it well 😊 for reference, she turned 19 weeks today!

@melsna Interesting. This is similar to what happened to me with the 5 to 4 transition. I’m ina. Mode of debating everything. Sorry I wish I could help

@melsna The "regression" is actually a major sleep development! You can't really skip it.

Schedule really helps baby be ideally tired when you put them down.

Sorry I can't write more, baby sleep guide in my profile.

@cindyfernandez Yes I saw your sleep guide, so useful!
My baby has been on a really good schedule since week 1, that has evolved with her needs :) she’s on 3 naps as of when she turned 16 weeks (2 weeks ago) and follows 1.75/2/2/2.5 wake windows which we found work for her (helps her connect some nap sleep cycles). She’s always had a strong bedtime routine - im just a bit blindsided by last night, and I wonder if her paci is becoming more of a nuisance than help? 🫣

@cindyfernandez Yes I saw your sleep guide, so useful!
My baby has been on a really good schedule since week 1, that has evolved with her needs :) she’s on 3 naps as of when she turned 16 weeks (2 weeks ago) and follows 1.75/2/2/2.5 wake windows which we found work for her (helps her connect some nap sleep cycles). She’s always had a strong bedtime routine - im just a bit blindsided by last night, and I wonder if her paci is becoming more of a nuisance than help? 🫣

Back