20-30 minute naps

sherbetmayhem

My 11 month old has been taking two 20-30 minute naps a day at daycare the past month. She used to do two hour long naps, now we can only get her to do that on the weekends if we contact nap which we don’t mind, but even then sometimes only 45 minutes and worry about her daycare days. I’m really anxious about if this is harming her, getting so little day sleep.

Our old schedule:

7:00 am wake up
9:30/10 am-10:30/11 - first nap
1-2 - second nap
7:30/8- bed

New “schedule”
6:00 am wake up
9:30/10- 20-30 minutes
1/1:30- 20-30 minutes
7/7:30 - bedtime

Any advice?

@sherbetmayhem Is she happy on it or does she seem tired? If she seems happy then I wouldn’t worry at all, I think babies are better at regulating themselves with sleep than we give them credit for.

@sherbetmayhem Shes probably ready to drop to one nap. Push the first one back as much as you can then try to power through until bedtime. You may need to temporarily bring bedtime forwards a bit if you can while she settles into the new routine

@sherbetmayhem Drop one of the naps - 1 is a completely normal age to go to one nap.

It’s totally child dependent but sleep recommendations are AVERAGES, all kids will vary so much so just do what suits her, don’t try and mould your kid into a schedule just because someone said it’s the right thing to do.

@sunsetrose Thank you for your advice! It had occurred to me, but I wasn’t sure if she would then just end up doing one 20 minute nap and be a puddle. We’ll try this weekend and then hopefully her daycare will be being the switch. She’s now one of the oldest in tue baby room at her Montessori as of the past month or so too, so I wonder if that’s part of it…

@sherbetmayhem It’s all possible!

All you can do is try but I will say, stick with the one nap for a few days at least, it took my little one a week to properly transition from 2 to 1 and she went from a 30 min nap to taking 2hr naps.

It was SUCH a relief!

@sherbetmayhem It really wasn’t bad for us, she just had to go to bed a little earlier a couple of nights from memory whilst she extended her nap from the 30 minute cat naps.

I love one nap schedule, so much more freedom!

@sherbetmayhem Have they discussed with moving her into the toddler room soon? Toddlers should be getting one nap during the day unless they have kids that do 2 naps. I know Montessori is a little different, but out of most curriculum styles id like to think they would be willing to accommodate and meet your child's needs.

@cyclingchristian They haven’t yet, I think they said kids usually move between 13-18 months? But she’s not walking yet, I think they use that and some other things as a factor, but it’s been a while since going over that when we were applying, so I plan to ask soon more details on the switch. Once in the toddler room they will be doing 1 nap.

@laurie4321 There is no ‘appropriate’, it completely depends on the child and many kids drop to 1 at 12 months.

My daughter’s bestie dropped to 1 nap at around 10mo - admittedly VERY early! My daughter literally dropped it the month after turning 1, along with most of her peers from our mums group.

@sherbetmayhem Naps are tricky. My almost 11m old will sometimes only nap for 20-40min and other times 1-2hr, depending on the day. I think teething affects it and also daily activities- sometimes my girl is so exhausted and will have a rare wake window of 3.5-4hrs. Some babies need soothed back to sleep for naps.

Might be a phase?

Back