18 y/o male cannot grow up?

jessyca

So my 18 y/o brother has always lived a very sheltered life (with the exception of living through my parents horrible relationship etc. so he’s a little scarred). My sister and I are sort of like mom figures to him, and he’s been living with us for a bit since he can’t go back to school due to COVID. My mom basically treats him like a little child and does everything for him (cook, clean, washes his clothes, etc etc). My brother doesn’t have any friends growing up, and still doesn’t today. He spends a lot of time alone because he says “people are the sources of all trouble.” AND AT 18 y/o, he still has COOTIES!!! He can’t watch scenes of people kissing because he thinks it’s gross, shows no interest in dating guy/girl/person. He also takes HOURS (and I mean HOURS) doing anything. If an average high school senior takes 10 hours total to write a good essay, it will take him 30 hours. If an average person takes 5 minutes making PB&J, it will take him at least 20min. (You get the idea).

He doesn’t really know how to express himself. You take him to the doctor and he has trouble explaining his symptoms. He’s definitely a little socially awkward, and he he shuts down and doesn’t talk to you when he’s upset about something.

Ever since the pandemic started, he just likes to sit in his room. He doesn’t like to talk about his future, college, and has no motivation to think about what he wants to do in the future. He seems to just want to be a little kid forever, with someone there to take care of him.

We just really don’t know what to do about him and help him along to adulthood and getting him to start making decisions for himself. Any advice on how to speed up the growing up process? Or is it too late if he needs help?

@jessyca If he really is lagging that far behind you’ll need to see about getting him some type of occupational therapy. Your mom needs to discuss these issues with his doctor and see what they recommend. Therapies can help with what sounds like anxiety and executive dysfunction. You may even just try talk therapy to give him some place safe to open up about any worries he may have regarding the future.

Back