15 yr old & menstrual issues

notatrollreally

My daughter is 15 and her cycles still don't seem very regular. She has gotten her period for 3 years (almost exactly). We went to a GYN last year, who did some basic blood work, and everything came back normal. She told us that it can take "a few years" for cycles to regulate. Well, it's been THREE years, that seems like a long time in my opinion.

I'm concerned about a few things in particular. My daughter put on a lot of weight very quickly (like 30lbs in 6 months). She also has acne (it's not terrible, but it's definitely more than her girlfriends). Her mood swings are pretty volatile, and with *ME* going through peri-menopause, we clash A LOT.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with their teen girl? Irregular periods for this long? She says they only last 1 day when they come. I'm concerned it could be something like PCOS but I'm not sure if there's any real diagnosis tool. I just want to know what I can do for her.

@notatrollreally Pediatrician here- parents instincts are correct- this could be PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) not sure what blood work the gyn did but it has been years. Regardless- any significant weight gain should be seen by pediatrician/family doctor (while this could be lifestyle and diet - this could be pcos, or a thyroid problem, or even cancer- all would screw up menses, mood, and have weight gain) You may need to see an endocrinologist after being screened by your primary.

@xylophoio Thank you! We had bloodwork done by an Ob/Gyn last year who sees adolescents (and I'm in the process of trying to get my hands on those actual medical records to see WHICH tests were run). We have another appointment to see her again in November.

The pediatrician mentioned the weight gain at her well visit earlier this year, but chalked it up to Covid weight. My first thought was PCOS as well. What are the tools for diagnosing this at her age?

I think the endocrinologist suggestion is a good one, maybe I will see if I can go ahead and schedule an appt.

@notatrollreally Diagnosis of PCOS is based on
  1. high androgen levels (testosterone, androstenedione, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), and DHEA sulfate (DHEAS))
  2. poly cystic ovaries on US or irregular periods
  3. not having another hormone diagnosis
Main test for PCOS look at androgen levels.

But other tests for alternative diagnoses : adrenal problems, thyroid problems, prolactin problems- since these are all hormonal - endocrinology is a good fit. Also if it is not an endocrine problem, and the weight gain puts her in the obesity range- endocrine may be able to offer counseling or assistance as it is a risk factor for diabetes.

Our Peds endocrine clinic has an obesity clinic that focuses on healthy body image and safe lifestyle approach to weight loss.

@xylophoio Ahhh, ok so there are some initial hormone levels to look for. That may be the blood work my daughter had done last year. And the endocrine information is helpful too. Thanks so much!

@xylophoio Hi there! I finally got the lab results from last November. It looks like they did in fact, test her TSH +free T4, DHEA-sulfate, testosterone, FSH, prolactin and estradiol.

Everything was in the range for "normal" - but her testosterone was right on the line. Her level was 12 NG/dl (the range being 12-71). Is that significant at all?

@notatrollreally Yes-

1st you are in good hands and they ordered the right screening labs.

But since there has been significant weight gain since last November and no change in menses it may warrant repeat testing. This can be a dynamic condition and you may have caught it too soon.

They may also want to screen for type 2 diabetes. (HbgA1C or glucose tolerance test)

@notatrollreally I went through this but never ended up having a normal cycle naturally. When my daughter went through it, it took until 18 but that’s also when she started bc so that may have helped. With that being said, the only “issue” for my daughter and I was the irregularity. We didn’t experience rapid weight gain or anything so I can understand your concern.

@bogdan Thanks. I wish I knew what bloodwork they did last year, having a hard time getting access to her medical records.

As far as I know though - there isn't a 'test' for PCOS, right? It's more a syndrome-type thing (you have all these symptoms, so we're saying you have PCOS?) Or is it something seen on a sonogram/ultrasound?

@notatrollreally Well they will do an ultrasound to see if there are cysts on her ovaries, check her endometrium, etc… they need to see everything and it’s more to rule out any problems - like someone else said those first few years of cycles can be super irregular and heavy, unpredictable. But they should run a basic blood panel, check her glucose levels and thyroid especially. I would look up the symptoms of PCOS (nothing else!) and see if they do line up with her symptoms. Also how is she feeling about all this? Remember adolescence is a hormonal rollercoaster all the time. Stress, diet, sudden increase in physical activity can alter cycle changes too and are more common at that age.

If it’s been a few years it’s a good time for her to have another appointment anyways!

@notatrollreally It took me 3 doctors and several blood tests before i got my pcos diagnosis. That sounds very much like pcos. Please take her to an endocrinologist and ask them to recommend a nutritionist. Diet is the best way to combat pcos. Best of luck!

@postimpatica I never said I overruled my pediatrician. We were seen by an OB/GYN who specializes in teens and young adults. Last year, it had been 2 years of irregular periods. This year, we're at 3 years of irregular periods. I'm not a physician, but that seems like a long time. Do you have any experience here? Or are you just being judgy?

@postimpatica Lmao. The basis of her opinion is presumably her lived experience as a woman. I had a suspicion from your comments that you had to be a man. Scrolled your history 30 seconds and … sure enough! A man on here questioning what qualifications a woman has to know that having an irregular period for 3 years might be a problem? Definitely under the umbrella of mansplaining.

And before you’re like “well she should still ask her doctor.” Duh. Every question in a legal sub could be answered with “ask a lawyer,” and every question in a parenting sub could be answered with “ask a doctor/therapist,” but that is very seldom what people need when they come to Reddit.

OP, as a woman who had irregular periods all through high school, significant acne, and an undiagnosed eating disorder to control my weight… definitely look into PCOS. You don’t have to have blood work or an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis. Mine was diagnosed by my dermatologist based on symptoms and then confirmed by the ultrasound tech during my first pregnancy very cautiously/casually asking if anyone had ever said anything to me about cysts on my ovaries. They were covered.

Pretty positive I had one burst in college, as I experienced excruciating pain during one period and threw up from how bad it was. I didn’t even puke during my first labor.

Keep advocating for your daughter and using that lived experience as a woman as the “basis for your opinion.” 🙄