15 year old struggling

vesivian

My 15 year old daughter has adhd. Things have always been hard for her. She went to the same grade school for 9 years. Friend relationships were up and down but she had her people. Now we’re 3/4 of the way through freshman year of high school. Pretty much 0 friends. Kids are flat out mean. She puts on a good front but falls apart at home. Never invited to anything. Participates in clubs and sports but can’t find kids that are just nice. She’s a kind soul. I’m sure she’s not perfect but my heart breaks for her. We listen. Support her. Distract as much as we can but she still has to walk in there everyday on her own feeling completely alone. Other than her speaking to a counselor, how do we help?

@vesivian Something that helped our out of synch kiddo was an occupational therapist that worked with social stuff & neurodiverse kids. There's all kinds of weird little things about knowing how to join a conversation and not be weird about it that she was able to show her. Most therapists have a description online that will let you know if they're the right kind of occupational therapist. Teens are really not good at making space for people who don't quickly understand social rules, which screws over some of the nicest but slightly awkward kids. Idk if that is you kid, but if it's a pervasive issue over many groups of kids, maybe it would help.

@vesivian I feel this. Our 15yo daughter has similar issues; not a lot of kind, “sane” kids. I was hoping she’d find her crew in the theater kids but she has too much stage fright to join up (which wasn’t an issue in elementary school, but around 7th grade she started opting out).

Our girl at least has two, maybe three good friends. They’re not adhd though and sometimes she feels overmatched or left behind a bit.

It’s tough.

Back