14 hours in the pediatric ER- the most grateful I’ve ever been for breastfeeding

@mss91z28 We’re headed on a road trip to Arizona, and my friend is watching our house/pets, and was there last night, helping me brainstorm what I might be forgetting. “Formula & bottles?” she hazarded. I mean, he’s EBF and my boobs are coming along for the ride, so…?

Glad you were able to feed your babe, and I am pro-breastfeeding, but the hospital would have rounded you up some formula in a heartbeat. BUT it probably wouldn’t have been as soothing for your little one. I tell my husband the boob is like a cheat code. :).

Wishing you and your daughter a swift recovery!!

@mss91z28 This is beautifully written about the breast feeding. I am so sorry for what you went through with the nanny, it feels impossible to find someone to trust. I would be so upset. Have you confronted the nanny yet and what did she say? Will CPS contact her?

@laurenalexylee All we’ve done is send her an email saying we’re terminating the contract effective immediately. Our nanny share family sent it for us. So far I don’t think they’ve heard anything back. We want to let CPS handle getting her story. I hope they will.

@mss91z28 I’m so terribly sorry for the situation you’re in because it sounds absolutely terrifying, heartbreaking and utterly rage-inducing. But can I just say what an AMAZING mom you are for finding the one positive thing about the situation and making that the hero of the story? Like honestly most people would very rightfully just be pissed and upset and overwhelmed and you’re focusing on the way you can step up for your daughter. That is just absolutely beautiful and brave. Well done you!

@tlc1 Usually I do too actually. And a bottle and a bunch of other supplies, just in case. But I left the house that day thinking we’d be gone an hour, not 19 hours. Even if I’d had my full supply bag it wouldn’t have been enough. Probably the hospital would have formula but it would have been another source of stress.

This post wasn’t meant or shame formula feeders or anything. Like I said I’m just processing the ordeal and talking out some of my feeling.

@tlc1 I’m sorry breastfeeding didn’t seem to work out for you but also that you seemingly wanted it to. You’re on a sub specific to breastfeeding though. If it’s too much for you, there’s a “leave” option. Plus OP made all the plenty necessary disclaimers to appease the non breastfeeding folks even though, again, she didn’t have to because she’s on a bf sub.

@tlc1 But would you have had enough clean bottles to get through the 19 hours? Or would you have had to try and find a clean bathroom to wash them in? What about soap and brushes to clean the bottle? And would you have used plain tap water, or gone to a vending machine and gotten bottled water? And does your baby drink milk at any temperature, or would you have had to worry about heating it up if you were going to go the bottled water route?

There's nothing wrong with formula feeding, but in situations like this breastfeeding is way more convenient.

@dbclark Well… as a formerly EPing/low supply mama who wishes her boobs could have been a super power… and a hospital-based… pediatrician… no, I wouldn’t have had enough clean bottles. But the pediatric hospital would have provided me with all the formula and bottles I might need, and if our specific formula wasn’t available, there would be a pediatric dietitian available to help figure out what hospital formula would work best. And my baby would still be comforted by mama holding her and talking to her 🤷🏻‍♀️(and there are bottle warmers in every hospital nutrition room). No, it’s not quite so convenient, but babies don’t go hungry in pediatric hospitals just because they’re formula fed…

@mss91z28 I’m so sorry you all are going through this. But you’re right, she had her mom and the ultimate comforting thing she knows. I hope you all can get some rest soon

@mss91z28 Ugh this made me cry. I also have a 6m old breastfeeding baby. I am so sorry that you and your baby are going through this, and hope that the state does their due diligence in getting to the bottom of the incident. Wishing you and your baby healing through such a horrific situation.