11.5 lb baby Birth Story

wings777

When I found out at 40+4 that my baby was measuring at 5200+g (11.5 lbs) I came to Reddit looking for birth stories and didn’t find much, so I’m sharing mine for the next mama who comes looking!

After still not going into labor naturally and being at a 2 for many days, I chose to be induced at 41+1 with the information that the baby was estimated over 11 lbs +/- 1 lb. My induction started at 7am with cervix ripening and I went through 3 doses of that. My contractions slowly picked up, but were about 5min apart. This is when an OB stopped by and told us all the stats and chances of the “what ifs” coming true. I cried for an hour after this talk, full of fear.

When my midwife came back in later, she saw this changed and worked to reframe my mindset. We repeated the mantra “my body was made for this baby” and put our faith in human nature.

At 5pm I had another check and was moving slowly, so we chose to break my bag of waters and start a very slow drip of pitocin. The pitocin was shut off within 20 minutes because my contractions were progressively getting closer on their own.

At 640pm the urge to start pushing hit, and through a very calm pushing while on my side, baby’s head came. We waited through one more contraction so my body had enough power to get the shoulders out, and at 730 my 11.5 lb baby was born! The most amazing thing - not a single tear for me or issue for baby. My midwife offered support the whole time and was prepared to take the pushing slow at the end, which I believe helped the most.

If you find yourself getting this news before delivery, learn the information and be aware of the possibilities, but also trust your body. With the right support during your delivery it is possible for everything to go smoothly!

Editing to add:
- this was my 3rd baby and I know that helped. My 1st was 8 lb 10 oz and came out crooked and destroyed me. My 2nd was 8 lb 11 oz and was a smooth and quick delivery as well - 3 stitches needed. Not to scare, but to show that even if one goes/was a tough delivery, every pregnancy and delivery is unique!
- I went to a hospital and saw midwives the whole pregnancy. This interaction with the OB was my first one. Midwives approach is definitely part of the reason I was not pushed to a C section. When the scan came back at that size they said, “because baby measures over 5,000g we can offer you can elective C section, but I want to remind you that our bodies are made for childbirth and it is okay to have big babies”.
- had I known this information weeks earlier it would not have changed my decision, but the fear that comes with possible shoulder issues and tearing for mom increasing is a valid one that you should not talk down to yourself for having. For a few minutes in labor after learning the statistics, the thought to elect for a C section did cross my mind because I kept thinking “how can I knowingly risk issues for my baby?”. I prayed a lot, calmed myself, and reminded myself that issues can happen no matter the size of the baby.
- I received weekly chiropractic care for 20weeks+. Not sure the difference that made, but it could have helped keep the pelvis perfectly aligned.
- although I didn’t have a single tear, I do have hemorrhoids BAD and today 6days PP they brought me to tears. I didn’t come away completely untouched by the size🙃

@wings777 Congrats! I recently had a 12.10lb baby vaginally and it helped that we didn’t know how big he was so I couldn’t get all up in my head. Kudos to you and your midwife team for staying positive - bodies absolutely can birth big babies!

@perpetuah same!! i had to have an urgent cesarean though due to breech presentation but going for a vbac with this baby! he’s already measuring like a week ahead 😭🤣

@josieyy Oh man I am so sorry. Were you able to labor and deliver in whatever position you wanted? I feel like that makes such a massive difference, but I know it’s no guarantee!!

@artosgalleries Honestly, my only hope for labouring was that my epidural was successful. My first failed. So the food news is, it was successful and I'm so very thankful. I think it would have been pretty traumatic otherwise!

@wings777 11.5lbs and no tearing!! Way to go! Congrats!!! I had my baby 5 days ago, he was 7.5lbs and I had a 1st degree year. It seemed like the dr was stitching me forever but they said she was just being careful. It’s been pretty painful, seems to be getting better, one of the stitches is near the urethra so it sometimes stings when I pee. 😖😣

@knowledgeseeker313 It will get better! The stinging goes away first, but you will be sore for awhile. With my 1st (8lb 11oz) I had 3rd degree tears - 4 large rips the whole way out that was 2+ hours of stitching. Recovery was long, but my 2nd and 3rd babies were a breeze.

@knowledgeseeker313 First off congrats😊 & secondly, Sounds bizzare but it was a life saver for me… when going a wee bend down and touch the floor, the leaning forwards - changing the angle helps with the stinging 😅

@wings777 I love this post! I had a 12lb 3oz baby via C-section at 39 weeks. I was told I basically had no options as it would be selfish of me to consider vaginal birth with her known size.

My first was 8lbs 15oz. I had him vaginally at 37 weeks. I had 3rd degree tearing with him.

Pregnant right now with baby number 3. Going to try vbac if the size stays within reason.

@speden Very similar for my 1st as well! My second was much better and this time, had we known the size sooner maybe they would’ve mentioned a C section but finding out after 40 weeks we were all team “trust the body”.