1 and 3 year old. What do we doooo all day!?

ahead

New SAHM here. I have this awesome list of tons of fun places we can go and things we can do. Turns out it’s really exhausting going out with a 1 and 3 year old. And especially with the weather turning I’m needing ideas for more things we can do at home. My oldest loves games and art but my littlest destroys games and eats art. I can sometimes kill time with sensory bins but need more at home ideas please!

ETA: thank you everyone for the wonderful suggestions!! My kids are actually almost 4 and 18 months. I’m hopeful we’re almost to the end of eating everything phase for my little one. And my big one goes to PreK 5 hours per day. Which is awesome but also makes getting out of the house extra weird since we can’t do it first thing. Going to respond to as many of you as I can directly!

@ahead I realize you’re asking for indoor ideas but noticed you said going out is exhausting - to which I agree.

When my kids were that age and I’d take them somewhere, library, zoo, park, wherever - I’d try to arrive around 9 or 10 am and leave by lunch. When we got home we would ear lunch and then they’d take naps. I rarerky went anywhere all day at that age.

Just my two cents - I picked up that routine from my in-laws and it made sense.

Another thought - anything at home, limit to really short periods of time. The three year old may be able to do a project for 10-20 mins max. The one year old, ha! Destroying their project is about all you may get, but they are learning about how the world works, cause and effect, etc.

This was an incredibly difficult stage for me…. I feel for you!

@blackswordsman I agree. It’s way easier to be out than at home. Most places don’t open until 9:30 or 10. We’ve been up since six, so it’s like mid day. 😆

Go out from 9:30-11:30. Do lunch and naps. Now you’re at 3 something. Home stretch til dad gets home!

Library, local museum, friends houses, heck take a trip to Home Depot and go run around the aisles. Or if you have a mall with ramps! My kids would just run up and down and it’s dead at the mall at 10 am. Mall children’s play area. Grocery store is an outing. See if the bakery gives out cookies to kids.

@brucepjr I wish we could go out first thing! My big kid has preK in the morning so we can’t all go out together until 2 or so. I love some of these ideas though like running around the mall and the bakery! Genius!

@blackswordsman This is what we would do as well. Mine were this age during the lockdown so we sought out things like ADA approved trails that were flat and stroller/wagon friendly. We would bring snacks, have a snack picnic and head home. Often they would fall asleep in the car on the way home.

@ahead I have a 1 and 4 year old. Being at home is hard in a different way than going out. There aren't many things that both of my kids will happily do together, but the few I have discovered are...
  • Musical instruments. We bought a box of little kid instruments and they both enjoy banging on the drums and playing the recorder.
  • Drag a bed mattress to the floor and put on music. They go nuts. The mattress adds a novelty. I usually do this when I am washing bedsheets.
  • We set up a safe spot for the 4 year old. We set up a baby play pen and instead of containing the 1 year old, we gave it to the 4 year old so she could build and play without worry of destruction.
And as a final note, I've realized that if I want to go out with my kids in the morning, I have to prep their lunches the night before. It allows us to be gone longer and it means no cranky crying kids while I try to cook.

@saltlamp Snacks, too!! Snacks in the car to the fun, snacks in the car from the fun. It's usually gram crackers or something easy leave in the car.

We also play outside in all weather as much as we can. Even if it means more laundry, I like knowing they ran around outside at least once.

@ahead Breakfast in the car looks like frozen smoothies in molds, yogurt in pouches, and whole fruit.

Lunch in the car is always crackers with cheese slices and pepperoni.

Snacks include gram crackers, vitamin C lolly pops, dried fruits like mango, goldfish, granola bars, fruit bars, and really whatever snacks are on sale haha. Honestly goldfish are probably my least favorite because the get everywhere but they do keep kids happy and that makes me a safer driver.

@dariab Hi, I’m Vetted AI Bot! I researched the 'Mirenlife Silicone Ice Pop Molds Set of 8' and I thought you might find the following analysis helpful.

Users liked:
* Easy to use and clean (backed by 4 comments)
* Great for kids (backed by 4 comments)
* Versatile and customizable (backed by 3 comments)

Users disliked:
* Popsicle molds have a strong plastic odor (backed by 3 comments)
* Popsicle molds are difficult for children to use (backed by 6 comments)
* Popsicle molds are awkward to fill, seal and clean (backed by 5 comments)

If you'd like to summon me to ask about a product, just make a post with its link and tag me, like in this example.

This message was generated by a (very smart) bot. If you found it helpful, let us know with an upvote and a “good bot!” reply and please feel free to provide feedback on how it can be improved.