Wondering who else has dealt with high acid levels?

kayvin

My daughter was born last Tuesday 5/30. She was born at 33 weeks and 3 days but came out very tiny for her age — 2lbs 6oz. Doctor’s primary concern is the high acid levels in blood. Current pH level is 7.43. The doctor believe it’s most either due to an infection, for which she’s on two antibiotics; ductus (blood vessel opening near the hear [I believe]); or a combination of the two. The doctor is more concerned about the infection. I try not to google stuff since I am not a doctor but couldn’t help myself. I’m sure many of you can relate. I’m obviously terrified and traumatized through this whole ordeal as a new father. I just discovered this wonderful community yesterday. She was breathing fine on her own at first. Then she went to the pressure machine in her nose. Now she’s intubated with a breathing tube. I break down hysterical crying multiple times per day. I was more upset about the breathing until I learned that the acid in blood/likelihood of infection is what’s most concerning and I’m absolutely terrified.

@kayvin So, a blood ph of 7.43 doesn’t represent an acidosis. I think there might be some misunderstandings and miscommunication, so you should ask your daughter’s care team. If you don’t understand the doctor, talk to the RN’s and RT’s; sometimes they can interpret the medical jargon a bit better. Good luck! If she did have an acidosis, it appears that the interventions your team has in place are doing a good job of correcting the issue.

@kayvin A low ph indicates acidosis, high ph is alkalosis. Typically, a “normal range” is 7.35-7.45, but neonates tend to run a bit on the acidic side, anyways, so down to 7.25 is usually ok. There are other values reflected on a blood gas, so ph level only tells a part of the story.

@kayvin Even if the (past) acidosis is caused by an infection or PDA, one thing that can help correct acidosis is to increase the baby’s respiratory support. Acidosis occurs when there is excess carbon dioxide in the blood, and exhaling is how the body can quickly get rid of that excess CO2. Premature lungs aren’t always great at getting rid of extra CO2 on their own, so adding higher respiratory support (sounds like CPAP then ventilator for your baby) can help accomplish that very quickly while the team addresses the underlying cause. In cases where the acidosis is causes by something besides the lungs themselves, babies may need to be on a lot of respiratory support until the underlying cause is resolved - then they often wean off the breathing support quickly. Once the excess CO2 stops being produced they no longer need help to get rid of it. Everything is connected in a very complex way, always push for answers from baby’s medical team when you want clarification on anything!

@kayvin 7.43 is on the high end of normal, with normal being 7.35-7.45. It sounds like her body is still maintaining itself and doing an ok job at it. pH isn’t really indicative of anything on its own, either. There are likely other labs they’re looking at as well - you have to look at the whole picture to really understand what’s happening.

@sergeireborn Understood. I guess that’s what I get for trying to play doctor. I’m done googling stuff, or at least going to do my very, very best not to. Thank you for all of this helpful information.

@kayvin I don’t know anything about Ph and infection but my daughter was born 33 and 5 days and weighed exactly the same! These little tiny ones are the biggest fighters !

@ash55 Thank you for sharing. It’s really reassuring to hear (not that I’m glad you went through this). But they really are indeed. TINY BUT MIGHTY! 😎

@kayvin Just wanted to say that often the labs run on these little ones don’t correlate to normal adult levels, and it can be very hard to interpret them on your own (harder than if they were for you as an adult)—especially if you see the automated results before the doctors can round with you. Don’t be afraid to ask the docs/nurses to explain them to you. I know in the first few weeks my son had a lot of blood drawn, and it was scary, but it was kind of like they were establishing his baseline and then watching to see how it changed. I’m not saying your baby’s situation isn’t concerning/trying to downplay it (I’m not a medical professional, so I have no idea), but your post made me remember the lab work questions I had back when my son was in the NICU and the doctors were very reassuring to me that “levels are weird in pediatrics,” less well-established ‘cuz research funding rarely leans toward kids, and they would contact me ASAP if something was truly concerning.

Anyway, I hope you find out what’s going on soon and can catch your breath. These early days are so overwhelming. I’ll be thinking of you!