Who should call who to congratulate?

jerib

I hope this issue fits the sub, I wanted to see what the rest of the world thinks.

Our son was born 5 weeks ago. We said no visits for the first 2 weeks, partly because I was having c section. Both of our parents were unhappy, but they respected it.

The day he was born we texted each of our respective families and friends, the closest people called, others congratulated via text, voice or video message. My parents and sister were over the moon and request daily updates lol. My extended family is also like that. After 2 weeks my mother flew in (we live in different countries) and stayed with us for a week.

So far so good. My husband got a lot of calls too, so I assumed some of them were from his family. He has 3 siblings and a mom (father's dead), as well as a grandmother, aunt and uncle (as you can see, not too many people). Well after 5 weeks his mom finally showed up. She lives 1,5 hours car ride away. Turns out my husband invited her 3x already, she turned him down each time. AND.NONE.OF.THEM.CALLED.ONCE. According to her, he was supposed to call each one of them so they can congratulate and they all agree on this. They are all pissed now, because he only texted them. We think that they were supposed to call him/us (nobody asked how I am healing either). Normally people call you e.g. for your birthday, not the other way around. As a matter of fact, few days after our son was born, my husband had his own birthday, no calls either.

What the hell is going on here? Is this normal behavior? We live in Germany, we're Germans, is this some sort of cultural thing that we still missed?

My mother says that she never heard of such a "rule". Guys, what do you think? Wtf?

@desperatelyseeking The absolute audacity of putting any kind of social pressure on a pair of new parents. It happened to us and I cannot believe how many stories I’ve heard. Who are these entitles brats who think their feelings are more important than the parents of a newborn who are trying to navigate their suddenly changed lives?

@jerib My MIL also wanted me to call everybody for big announcements (engagement, wedding, pregnancy) and I've turned her down every time. I think it's generational. We just send out 3 emails for every announcement: 1 CC email to my family, 1 CC email to spouse's family, and 1 BCC email to non-family. If people don't like it they can have their own baby. I also never get phone calls for any of these things for the record - I always get emails or mass texts.