What to items to buy now that typically are not gifted. FTM needs your help!

deryck

Hey everyone!

I have a question for all the mommy's out there. My husband and I are starting to enter baby buying mode and I was wondering what are some good suggestions of things to buy that you don't typically receive as gifts?

We have been stocking up on clothes from 6-9 months and older figuring everyone will be buying us newborn and 0-3 month clothing and want to be prepared for when we are running out of gifts and will be inevitably too broke/exhausted to go shopping for clothes. We have been grabbing as many sale items as possible and I have even been able to score a sale on hot/cold boobie packs and nipple pads but I'm sure there are a few things out there that we need that we won't even think of until the time comes to use them.

What would you suggest we get? What was a MUST HAVE that no one thought to gift you?

We are in the process of buying a new house(fingers crossed we get an acceptance!) and will have plenty of space to store things until the time comes to use them so we really want to stock up on as much baby/mommy stuff as possible. Thanks!

@deryck I bought white onesies (LS & SS) and white socks in every size. People are not likely to buy you the standard stuff, just cutsie stuff. I love Carter's onesies and Gap socks.

Cloth diapers make amazing burp cloths, and they're less expensive than actual burp cloths. For thr first 6 months we used them all the time! I'd buy 6 or so. You'll probably get some cutsie burp cloths as gifts, so the cloth diapers can supplement that.

Edit: sorry hit submit too soon.

Medela sterilizer bags are wonderful and inexpensive. You're not likely to get any of those, but even if you do it never hurts to have more!

@thegentileskeptic WooHoo! this is exactly the info I need! I kept hearing about the cloth diapers as burp cloths so that was a good reminder to add it to my list. I'll look into buying the sterlier bags too! Thanks!!

@deryck The cloth diapers as burp cloths is a GREAT tip, they are amazing and so much more absorbent than cutesy burp cloths, and they are bigger (not oblong like burp cloths often are).

@deryck Hold off on any clothes- we ended up with a fuck ton of clothes from 6-18 months and nothing in newborn/0-3 months.

As for what to buy- every other time or so you go to the grocery store, pick up a box of diapers. Bonus if you have coupons/sales. Buy in multiple sizes.

@deryck I 2nd the gap socks. They hold up great.

A lingerie bag. One thing people don't tell you is that baby socks get lost. Typically in the washer and than the washer will stop working. It helps keep everything together and you won't lose to many.

Usually not gifted but its a good idea to have baby Tylenol and gas drops. As well as a humidifier.

@deryck I just had my baby shower, and while it was on the small side (10 guests), I found that people don't typically buy the small, practical items. My husband and I went out yesterday, and bought our last few things, including a baby thermometer, baby nail clippers and socks.

@deryck plain multiple size onesies, pants, socks, free & clear laundry detergent, and a comfortable chair/sofa/recliner that you can imagine spending an incredible amount of time in.

@deryck My advice would be to try and wait as long as possible to remove the tags from things - wait until you're ready to use much of it. I was so excited and washed everything right away, and there are so many things I wish I could return now.

Seconding the Nose Frida - we had 3 different styles of bulb-suckers and they were all terrible. The baby is squirming and screaming, and you've got to stick this thing up his nose, suck, then pull it out of his nose to deflate it, try and hold his head still enough to stick it back in, repeat repeat repeat. He hated it, but he gets congested so we needed something. Finally I remembered I had bought the Nose Frida. Works like a charm, gentle and easy, and he doesn't even care I'm using it. Suck all those nasty goobers out (but it's not gross, I promise).

For me, the biggest thing I wish I'd stocked up on were more nursing-friendly shirts for me. I've had the best luck with low-cut tanks and/or long-sleeved tees from Old Navy - easier to pull those down and keep most of my shirt on. Also, I've never worn robes before, but now it's my favorite article of clothing.

Also, even if you weren't planning on baby-wearing, consider it for the sake of your arms and back. I have a Baby K'Tan that calms my kiddo down quickly, and if I'm really exhausted, I put him in the Ergo. This Mommy thing is physically draining.

@deryck Wash cloths and hand towels... Spit up will cover everything! Put the baby on the bed for a second? Gonna need new sheets!

Speaking of sheets... Get a waterproof cover for your bed. Do it now! In case you pee, or your water breaks, and then later on when diaper blowouts happen, you'll be so happy to have that cover on your mattress!

Have a couple of nursing bras... Cheap ones from target, especially sleeping bras. Don't get expensive ones until a month or so after your milk comes in. I also recommend reusable nursing pads, the disposable ones that stick to your bra won't move with you when you're sleeping on your side. The disposable ones are great for leaving the house though!

You'll NEVER have enough onsies. Different brands vary greatly on size too. Gerber runs small, for instance. Wrap style tee shirts are the best things when your baby still has his/her umbilicus.

Even if you are not cloth diapering, diaper covers are great at containing blowouts. Thirsties are cheap, and come in x-small, and size one for wee babies. Later, a one size cover, like the flip is good from about 10lbs-35lbs. (Don't buy from amazon though... I have yet to actually a cloth diaper product fulfilled and I didn't find out for weeks after ordering...Kelly's closet or nickis diapers are good sites).

Toiletries for yourself for a couple of months, and a seemingly crazy amount of TP... Running out of that when you're sleep deprived I. The middle of the night is the worst.

Above all, wait until after your shower!! It's hard, but sometimes you'll be surprised. I got a bunch of mundane items tucked into a cute storage caddie. My neighbors got me a ton of white onsies (and boy was I thankful for that gift at 3 weeks!)

@cmotorsportsministries This is a great list! Thank you so much! I never would have considered getting reuseable nursing pads, I figured the toss away ones would be just fine but it totally makes sense now that you said it. The diaper covers are a great idea too! I would seriously be so lost without you guys guiding me on what I really need!

@deryck Here's what I would suggest...every time you see something you want to buy, take the cash you would buy it with and set it somewhere. Like actually put cash in an envelope. I see parents out all the time with things I almost bought that would have gotten NO use. I liked the idea of wearing my baby but I never imagined I would prefer it an never use my stroller. I almost bought one of those frames that car seats click into, a co sleeper, and a blender for baby food. But like I said, I (and my baby) prefer the carrier, we ended up bed sharing, and my regular blender works great for the rare purée I make but mostly we do baby led weaning. I would have wasted SO much money. Getting out of the house occasionally is nice and this way you don't waste money on things you don't need.

@deryck I would recommend pajamas/sleep sacks that are appropriate for the season, two waterproof crib mattress covers, baby Q-tips, Nosefrida, and a mirror for your car, so you can see the baby in the backseat. Also, I found it helpful to have various medicines on hand, so I didn't have to run out and get it when he was sick (Tylenol, Motrin, saline nose drops, gripe water, chest rub, etc.).

@deryck If you don't get one at the shower, some sort of white noise maker for near the baby's bed is a lifesaver. I liked one that was easy to move from room to room.

I joined a local b/s/t site on Facebook and found some amazing deals on clothes and baby gear. My area also has consignment sales in the spring and fall that often have a night just for new moms. Babies fly through their clothes (my 8 month old is in 18 mos already), so I found a ton of things with tags still on or in perfect condition way less than retail. If you find yourself still needing things, those are great places to look.

Back