What to do when tests are lightening?

thyrodandstaff

I got my BFP 11DPO and confirmed with digital 12DPO. Lines progressed darker at 14DPO. I went ahead and scheduled a confirmation of pregnancy test when I’d be 6w+0 which includes an ultrasound.

My only symptoms have been sore breasts, acne and diarrhea (which seems like what I get before AF).

I just took another test today and the line is as faint as it was at 11DPO. I’ve had no spotting yet, but I’m convinced this is a chemical. I’d be 4w+5 today.

What do I do now? Wait for my period to come? Should I cancel my OB appointment? I don’t think I could handle seeing nothing on the ultrasound… Should I call the clinic and explain?

@thyrodandstaff At 19dpo it is possible, but less likely, that you are having a variant hook effect. This is where the test gives the correct result (positive or negative), but the test line darkness doesn’t correspond to hcg level (it gets lighter as hcg gets higher). You can identify this by diluting a sample 50/50 water to urine and if the test line is darker with the diluted sample, then your hcg is high. If it lightens further, then it is confirmed falling hcg. What you do with that information is your choice. But if your doctor will not count this pregnancy without an in-office confirmation, I would immediately schedule a beta test to get it documented. If they will take this pregnancy into account just on your self-reporting of a positive pregnancy test, then it is your choice whether to proceed with keeping the appointment for now. I’m sorry that you are in this stressful situation

Back