What the OPK ratio levels really tell you: peaks vs. positives

@prelude4ws This has been on my mind all day.... I got a high reading at 5pm on the 7th. My first test on the 8th at 9am was peak, I'm 99% sure I felt ovulation happen on the 8th in the evening, and around 11pm it was back down to a strong "high", but femometer is still showing ovulation as the 9th. I don't temp. According to this study it's definitely possible that I ovulated on the 8th, correct? I just want to know when I can test. TIA!

@prelude4ws Wow, cool, thanks!

I'm someone who had a stark positive OPK on Cycle Day 18, negative on CD19, then three bold positives in a row CD20-22!

Does that mean I ovulated on CD18?

(I tested with first morning urine.)

Thanks!

@00sweetpea00 Hard to say! It could just mean that you had a biphasic LH pattern. In the examples provided in the studies, ovulation generally was associated with the first peak in most of the time biphasic LH patterns, but the descriptive statistics weren't listed in terms of how many of the biphasic LH patterns had ovulation occur after the start of the second surge. I'd say ovulation on CD 18 is *possible*, but ovulation on CD19-22 would likely also be possible. The more you're tracking (BBT, CM), the more you might be able to nail that one down to close to your actual O date.

@prelude4ws As someone who has never seen a positive despite testing 2-3x per day in the days leading up to ovulation, I always assumed the "peak" was for people like me with a super short surge. My cycles are super regular (27-28 days), my CM matches up, and I get progesterone symptoms regularly after ovulation. I'm 99.9% sure I'm ovulating correctly but I still never see a positive. I've always looked at the peak because that's what made the most sense for me. I've stopped testing now, but was I interpreting that data correctly?

@nelson9 In that case I think it's fine! You could also try a brand with higher sensitivity - you could just have levels on the lower end. That's not a bad thing - it seems to be the fold difference rather than a certain concentration that's important for inducing ovulation.

@prelude4ws I’m sorry but this information is making me panic a bit because it sounds like the FW is shifted forward by at least 2 days, compared to what we’re usually told?

My understanding from this post is that 94% of people get their peak on a normal OPK after ovulation, and that peak is 1.2 days past ovulation on average. Also, the initial LH surge is usually 1-2 days before ovulation, but the surge is considered only 2.5 over baseline. Personally, my baseline is around .2, so I guess my surge is when my LH is around .5, and my peak is more like what I’m reading as my positive, which is more like 1.2-1.5.

Does this mean that the timeline on average is: LH is 2.5x over baseline (not necessarily positive) on O-1, ovulation day, peak/positive OPK on DPO 1, temp rise on on DPO 2-4?

I had thought that we hit O-2 this cycle, because the morning after I took my first OPK of the cycle and it was positive (and my peak, but my positive usually is my peak). Based on this new info, though, we might have actually just hit O day or even after ovulation? Damn.

@onmyway65 Most brands tell you that a positive is a test line as dark as the control line or darker and that ovulation will happen shortly after your first positive. I wouldn't assume yours is behaving differently. It sounds like you are getting a positive at some point so I would plan around that. It's possible you don't have a strong peak. These statistics are averages and different bodies behave differently.

If you are afraid you might be too late, you can always try to get in extra insemination times leading up to the rise just in case.

@onmyway65
it sounds like the FW is shifted forward by at least 2 days, compared to what we’re usually told?

Rather: the FW *can* be shifted, doesn't necessarily mean it *is*. There's variability in patterns, and it's hard to identify your pattern.

Personally, my baseline is around .2, so I guess my surge is when my LH is around .5, and my peak is more like what I’m reading as my positive, which is more like 1.2-1.5.

The LH ratio numbers can't really be used like this, because the level of detection isn't always in the linear range, and because baseline is often so faint. This is based on the concentration of LH in the urine, which you could only get from lab values. I would not try to extrapolate the 2.5 x the amount to the number that the app reads out.

Does this mean that the timeline on average is: LH is 2.5x over baseline (not necessarily positive) on O-1, ovulation day, peak/positive OPK on DPO 1, temp rise on on DPO 2-4?

Not necessarily. Many people get a positive OPK before their "peak" OPK (blazing positive, highest ratio). In this case, the first positive OPK would be more indicative of the start of the surge. If you only have one day of positive and that's your peak, it's possible that you have a short peak-like surge, and that it does happen before or at ovulation. Regarding the temp rise, it can take a bit for it to rise, but this is where looking at multiple signs helps triangulate an O day. If you have a positive OPK, a temp rise, and CM trackings, then you might find that you're able to narrow O day to a 2 day range based on known variabilities.

@prelude4ws I never get strong positives with tests like easy @ home. I think it’s because i drink a lot of water and I also go to the bathroom often (medical condition). What would you recommend in my case?

Thank you for this !

@curiouslycurious Is it that you don't get strong/blazing positives, or can't pick up a positive at all? If you're getting at least one positive a cycle, and you can tell when it starts getting darker, you're probably fine to use your best judgement in analyzing them for planning FW sex. If you're not picking up a positive, you could try the OneStep High Sensitivity OPKs (https://www.amazon.com/One-Step-sensitive-ovulation-fertility/dp/B017NRL7B8) that might be able to pick up your positive a bit easier than the easy@homes.

@prelude4ws I don’t get strong/blazing positives. To my eye, the line looks as dark or nearly as dark as the control line. But Premom never reads it as 1 or higher.

Thank you! I’ll check those out.

@curiouslycurious It could just be that you have lower levels combined with the hydration factor - if you're consistently getting alllmmosstt as dark as the control line and you're confirming ovulation afterwards, then there's no need to worry about getting the "blazing" positives!

@prelude4ws This is all good info, but now I may or may not be over thinking it. I didn't test Saturday. Sunday I had my first flashing smiley on a CBAD. I won't know if having sex that day is beneficial until I get the solid smiley, right?

@kenfeyl CBAD is a different ball game because flashing smiley (high) indicates estrogen is increasing and you're entering into your fertile window. You're right that the solid smiley will pop up when you start your LH surge, and there's no way of knowing how many days you will have the blinking smiley. Read the digital OPK primer at the top of the page for more info!

Back