What do you like and dislike about your jogging stroller? I’m overwhelmed

preng

I’m so extremely overwhelmed by the jogging stroller options. I am purchasing one to use with my almost 1 year old, primarily around the neighborhood.

I thought hearing what others like and don’t like about their stroller might be helpful.

There doesn’t seem to be much of a used market in my area.

If anyone would like to recommend a stroller based on what I’m looking for…

Here are the priorities in order:
1) good in shallow snow (snow would be on roads/sidewalks) and would have good shock absorbing on flat dirt hiking trails

2) has umbrella that pulls forward very far - ideally that can block wind from the child

3) seat lays back far

4) price (will I be $300 happier if I get a $500 stroller vs a $200 stroller?)

5) space to store parent belongings (can just be a zipper pouch that would fit phone and keys - doesn’t need to be fancy)

6) will fit in a small trunk (Toyota Corolla)
7) accessories not a fortune/generic accessories will fit

@preng I believe a single BOB stroller fits your criteria. I have a double so my experience is a little different. My experience is that it has good tires and shocks, and the umbrella pulls very far down, like just several inches above my kids knees (I can measure this afternoon). The underpart would vary between single and double but I’ve seen the under part on a single carry a diaper bag, as well as zippered pocket on the back of the seats. We bought our stroller new and don’t regret it, although I often see them on fb secondhand and trust the quality that I think it’s a viable option.

We have three kids and still use it ALL the time. Aside from walking my daughter to and from school, we take it to the zoo and to the fair. My husband used to take runs with both kids in it to a park 2 miles away. As far as accessories this may be the least likely to succeed. I know bob strollers need a conversion to connect infant seats and accessories for things like cup holders are extra.

@suzannel This is such a thorough response! I really appreciate it. The BOB revolution was the one that most caught my eye. There are some used ones pretty cheap if I drive 90 miles…. I wasn’t wanting to do that, but it might be worth the drive if I view it as getting paid $300 to drive!

@preng This may also be particular to our area, but our Graco jogging stroller got many flats that summer and our BOB had one. The culprit was goat head burrs (Eastern WA area), so not a flaw in the tires themselves, but the BOB tires seemed less fragile than the Graco ones by a decent amount.

ETA: the space above my sons knees to the canopy was about 7 in, the length of my hand from the bottom of my palm to my fingertips.

And the zippered pocket on the back is small, holds my phone and keys but not too much else.

@suzannel You’re awesome for actually measuring this. Thank you kind internet stranger! That’s some great umbrella coverage. I also appreciate you sharing about the Graco since it’s a popular model and one my sister uses.

@preng FWIW, I bought the slightly cheaper BOB Rambler (the rear tires are the same size as the front tire whereas the Revolution’s rear tires are larger) and have been super happy with it for years. It fits easily in my Jetta, and I can’t fit my diaper bag underneath. We bought ours new, and I think it would still fit your criteria if you can’t find a Revolution closer than 90 miles!

@preng I do not jog, run, or do any movement going that fast. However, I do hike, and I do enjoy going on pea gravel trails. I really like my Baby Trend Jogging Stroller (I think it's an Expedition?). It does all the things you mention, but I have not tested it in real ice/snow. The tires inflate and I love the suspension, cost, and how it folds. Maybe a place to start? The Amazon reviews are pretty accurate.

@janelyn Thank you! I haven’t looked at this one yet. It’s great to hear about an affordable option that functions well. I’m going to look into it.

@preng I really like our Baby Jogger City Mini GT2, we use it as our only stroller. It's smooth and works for taller people with long strides. Also super easy to unfold and fold. Great shock absorption. Works in light snow. I don't run or walk with a stroller once the sidewalks iceover. The only brand accessory we used was the infant car seat adapter, it was $40. The stroller is usually on sale when next year's model comes out.

@preng If you are going to actually be jogging I’d recommend the bob. I’ve used it in the snow and on easy trails. And there are usually good second hand options- these last a while!

@preng I have the BOB Alterrain Pro. It's fine in snow – certainly better than a standard stroller – but not great. The wheels still skid instead of turn quite frequently in fresh powder. That said, I don't think you'll find a stroller that performs great in snow. Heavily treaded or studded tires, similar to those on mountain bikes, would make a stroller perform better in snow, but having those on a jogging stroller would add a lot of resistance on pavement, making it not very suitable for jogging.

@preng We have a Graco Fastaction Jogger. The 3 wheeled one.

Don't buy this hot garbage. The front wheel gets into a "death wobble" and you have to slow down and lift the rear of the stroller up to make it stop. Hit that going over the wrong bump and the whole damn thing will flip over. Completely garbage even at slow walking speeds. Graco customer support has been completely unresponsive about looking for any kind of warranty replace/repair. Thing started doing it literally 2 months into owning it (first time we tried to jog). Also, about 4 months into owning it, the front wheel rotation "seized up", as in couldn't steer without lifting the stroller and forcing the wheel to turn (locked it in forward position for the rest of the walk back to the car) and I had to pull out my grease gun and inject trailer bearing grease into the wheel rotation bearing.

You'd be better jogging with a cheap walmart umbrella stroller. I wouldn't suggest any Graco stroller after this experience. Hell, I'd avoid all their products based on their customer service.

Oh, and as for what I like about it... When it works, it's nice. Good under seat storage. Folds up into the trunk of a Prius just fine. Big wheels with inflated tires would be great going over larger bumps, rocks, roots, for hiking, if it wasn't for that whole death wobble thing.