What’s a good forward facing carrier?

I’m moving to a dense city with no car and will be taking public transit primarily. It’s not stroller friendly so I’ll use a carrier for my 6mo most of the time. With my two older ones I mostly used an Ergobaby but it was a poor fit for me so I’m now considering alternatives. I also have a Happy Baby original but I struggle to put that one on alone.

@playingforthelord I love a ring sling on public transit for a few reasons. Baby can more easily look around from there (no straps in the way/easy hip carry) and it’s easier to sit while wearing the carrier even when they are big. Also. I find it easier to take them out so they can sit next to you as they get bigger and then put them back in (versus other carriers).

There is a bit of a learning curve but it has been so worth it for me. I used one for daily commute to daycare on the bus for the first kid, and will when this next kid is old enough too.

@playingforthelord Watch a bunch of videos! Everyone has different tips. Wrapyouinlove on YouTube is a fave. If you search on YouTube, it will now show you so many and just seeing it repeatedly helps my brain. And know that it’s unlikely your kid will fully slip out. My 9 month old loves to unseat herself if I don’t do the sling 100% correctly but she is still snug to me so she doesn’t slide out.

My favorite tip is about how to get the sling pulled up between your kid’s legs. Lean forward, holding onto the kid with one hand. With the other hand, push the fabric up further between their legs. I believe I learned that one from Kyle Baby’s video.

@playingforthelord World facing would be very stimulating for baby in a big city, and they can’t nap in that position. So just use for short sessions when you know they won’t be sleeping.

My baby loves the ring sling hip carry bc she gets a nice view, plus she can still easily nurse and nap.

@dominga Yes I would never have them facing out if it’s near their nap time. I can’t use a stroller in crowds and the sidewalks aren’t ideal for it either.

I have a hip carrier if that’s what you mean but it is heavy and it’s very hot where I am.

@blessedj316 Not inwards towards me cause we already do that but baby is arching or turning all the way to try and look behind. This is my third baby and she is so social and constantly trying to engage with others!

@markiplier I don’t feel safe wearing her in the back where I can’t see her on public transit that could be crowded. It’s the same reason I wouldn’t wear a backpack too. It’s a busy international city.

@playingforthelord Outward facing is not recommended for more than 15 mins or so at a time. But a hip carry might help baby see better while also being ergonomic and comfortable for both of you. I personally use a woven wrap to do hip carries, but a ring sling and some ssc allow for hip carry too.

@playingforthelord Hip carry in a ring sling with arms out works for me. Forward facing would eventually become uncomfortable for you because of the weight distribution (as baby grows they will be heavier and all the weight will be pulling your shoulders and cause back ache). I never back carry on public transport. I just feel like way safer if I can see my child especially on a crowded bus or train

@playingforthelord I don't think there are many carriers that let you do world facing because of multiple risk factors. Ergobaby and their sister brand Tula are the "safest" carriers that accommodate to world face.

I also have a baby that LOVES stimulation. I do world facing at home during chores but have him face me during walks...and he practically climbed out trying to look up at the trees. He does really well with a hip carry position, because he can face me AND look around.

Another commenter mentioned a ring sling. It's more compact for travel, and it meets your baby's needs to be close to momma while being able to look around.

@playingforthelord What carrier do you use now? How old is the baby? You might want to see if your baby can do arms out or do a hip carry.

I've never used forward facing but also had a curious baby. Arms out did wonders (I used a woven wrap and mehdai) but the best thing was to get her high on my back. If I needed to carry a backpack, I just carried that on my front (I have a hiking style backpack with a good waistbelt, that helped a ton). Wrapyouinlove has a good video of how to wear a backpack in the front on her Instagram. In crowded busses or public transportation it was safer to have her on my back because weight distribution was so much better and if someone hit the brakes I could more easily find a good balance.

@pashapotte Baby is 6 months old now, I don’t wear her much as we have a car and she’s always napping in the car seat as we drive. I don’t live in a walkable area now, and then suddenly will be moving to a very dense city with mostly buses and trains and ferries. I have an Ergobaby that is much too big for my frame, and recently got a Happy Baby. I had a Sollybaby but didn’t use it past newborn age and it was too difficult for me to tie if I was away from a mirror or outside.

@playingforthelord I find a tula to be more comfortable than my ergo. I started with a free to grow and now use a standard. You can find them for $40-60 used if you’re on a budget and want to try before committing.

Check the weight and height requirements to see if your baby is ready for a standard size if you do go the tula route.

I’m happy to answer more questions if I can.

Back